Questions for Shirley owners that have downsized

I want to go the other way.

30x70 or 80, straightback cabinet, turned warmer, full length stainless shelf.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The other way? NTTAWWT
30x70 was my first thought on my first build. You must cook better than me. I don't have the demand that you do.:heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I want to go the other way.

30x70 or 80, straightback cabinet, turned warmer, full length stainless shelf.

That's going to be a massive cook chamber!

I'll be hard pressed to fill a 24x42 with two racks. But I'm doing 3 and a warmer so I can really load it up with jerky.

That's going to be a massive cook chamber!

I'll be hard pressed to fill a 24x42 with two racks. But I'm doing 3 and a warmer so I can really load it up with jerky.

If folks have space to store and can move it around large is great because you can fill the chamber when needed or use the warmer for smaller cooks. I rarely fill mine other than the times we do charity or group cooks.

People have probably cooked for larger groups than I have, but I've never thought I've needed more than my 30x70 unless you are a legit caterer doing it all the time for a living. 3 racks in there is a lot.

Just read through the entire thread and agree with resizing the trailer, but we all know you really want a new cooker :becky: so resizing is not for you. I don’t know if it in their business model but with the time for new builds I have no doubt there is a demand for your current model so I would call Paul or Tyler and ask them about a “trade-in” on your preferred model. I bet they could make a deal, get you what you want and get somebody else a cooker sooner.

The other way? NTTAWWT
30x70 was my first thought on my first build. You must cook better than me. I don't have the demand that you do.:heh:

We do about 12 big cooks a year (300 pounds or so). At times we have Lavern, the Shirley, Althea, the Lang and a Queb'd Pint filled to capacity.

Paul, I say tell the city to place it where sun don’t shine.

An outdoor carport kind of structure may let you circumvent rules by not being counted as a building.

However, if that’s not in cards, then the Simplest is to mod the cooker you have on hand. All the sales and waiting don’t make as much sense and removing a burner and shrinking dimensions on your existing one

What you are describing is more than I expected. Let's say a new 24x55 identical to mine is worth $6,500. Selling mine for $6k would hopefully get close to the price of a new 24x42 with a few more options that were not available when I bought mine. Maybe I'm a little delusional. Not trying to rip anyone off, especially a brethren. I know it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Sounds better than paying to have mine shortened and those options added. 3' shorter is good but 4' shorter is better. Let me know what you think as I'm just thinking out loud. Am I being an s$$hat? Be honest. I'm not that sensitive. :boxing:

Well i cant afford that either way but i would pay that. Of course the term clean would have to apply. I dont see how 2 years off a cooker that will last a lifetime is a big deal. The loss in value i see is in not getting the true custom Shirley experience. Thats heavily offset by the not waiting and if it were close not having to pick it up from Alabama.

Paul, I say tell the city to place it where sun don’t shine.

An outdoor carport kind of structure may let you circumvent rules by not being counted as a building.

However, if that’s not in cards, then the Simplest is to mod the cooker you have on hand. All the sales and waiting don’t make as much sense and removing a burner and shrinking dimensions on your existing one

Ain't you been crying about the HOA Ruling your Life......? :boxing:.....:loco: ....:bow: .......:biggrin1:

Yall are Forgetting Paul Likes/HAS to buy a New Smoker every year or he gets the Hives/ Shakes............:twitch: That T&K is getting close to a Year Old.....

Yall are Forgetting Paul Likes/HAS to buy a New Smoker every year or he gets the Hives/ Shakes............:twitch: [/QUOTE]

And what's wrong with that?? :clap: :thumb: :whoo::bounce:

Paul ck into those "portable " metal buildings like the one behind my shop. They are reasonably priced and considered "temporary " as long as you don't put it on a slab. The 12x24 I got was about 3k delivered and setup.

Larry

I'm starting to miss my Shirley......:sad:
All this talk about Shirleys and smitty posting about cheap brisket cooks.
Going to pick her up on the 12th of January!! :mrgreen:

I'm starting to miss my Shirley......:sad:
All this talk about Shirleys and smitty posting about cheap brisket cooks.
Going to pick her up on the 12th of January!! :mrgreen:
That's another part of this decision. If I sell mine I will be without one.

That's another part of this decision. If I sell mine I will be without one.

Deposits are small and you can sell shortly before expected start date of your new one.

I'd get what I want if the price wasn't prohibitive.

Deposits are small and you can sell shortly before expected start date of your new one.

I'd get what I want if the price wasn't prohibitive.

Yeah, closer to Summer would be better. probably wouldn't try to sell this time of year.

Ain't you been crying about the HOA Ruling your Life......? :boxing:.....:loco: ....:bow: .......:biggrin1:

Yall are Forgetting Paul Likes/HAS to buy a New Smoker every year or he gets the Hives/ Shakes............:twitch: That T&K is getting close to a Year Old.....

Sure have! HOA is a tad different than the city. You’ll understand when your welding shop takes off.:boxing::boxing:

Gettin back to thread, it’s ironic you end up saying the same thing SmittyJonz! Mods to what you have are way easier than sale/search if your end Point is a Shirley anyway.

Shakes/hives at a year is pretty good. Both my cookers are just a few months and I’m feeling the itch again...

Sure have! HOA is a tad different than the city. You’ll understand when your welding shop takes off.:boxing::boxing:

Gettin back to thread, it’s ironic you end up saying the same thing SmittyJonz! Mods to what you have are way easier than sale/search if your end Point is a Shirley anyway.

Shakes/hives at a year is pretty good. Both my cookers are just a few months and I’m feeling the itch again...
But if I get a new one the shakes are settled while I wait and then maybe another year after I receive it???

...or anybody that has downsized. i guess it doesn't matter what cooker you have to relate to my question...

thinking about replacing my 24x55 elevated straight back trailer with a 24x42 elevated straight back trailer. it has recently become a small issue as the city would not allow me to build the size garage i had planned before buying my shirley. i have an extra 3 feet on the front where the burner and propane tank are mounted. never really used that feature but and i don't know if paul or tyler can just cut that off and re-mount the tongue. my garage is only 12x18 (was supposed to be 12x31) and the shirley takes up a pretty good portion. my biggest cook ever was 8 briskets and 30LBS of sausage. that only took 2.5 racks. i had a whole rack empty plus the 3 in the warmer. i am never going to use half the capacity that i have now so smaller should not be an issue.

i really liked the size of Hotch's when i saw it at the bash and the 24x42 elevated straight back that paul sent to california really caught my eye. pretty much the cooker i need vs the one i have now.

i guess my question is have you regretted going smaller? am i crazy? does it make more sense to have SF remove the burner than waiting 2 years? what are the rack sizes on the 24x42? i am thinking that if i include the warmer racks that the 24x42 will have more capacity than the main cook chamber on my 24x55. i guess i am california dreaming...:loco:

It sounds like this cooker is simply too big for your needs. Also, do you ever trailer it anywhere?

I would consider rightsizing your cooker

Back