Question, Chuck vs Round?

Wow that looks incredible, I need to try one pronto! Thanks for the tips on the heat everyone and sorry for the hijack leanza.

Last edited:
Weekend last, I smoked 25 lbs. of chucks @ 250* in Drumpit, foiled at 170* and took them to 210*, didn't pull but sliced, mighty good....savory and
juicy.....fast becoming a favorite at my house....:wink:

Damn....that looks good:biggrin:

WOW! That looks looks great! I know what I'm doing this weekend.....

Damn, that's the way to teach prof! You have great beef on a 4 wheel drive platform.
What suprises me is how long these chucks take to smoke. You better pack a lunch and a beer and then an alarm clock.

Wow that looks incredible, I need to try one pronto! Thanks for the tips on the heat everyone and sorry for the hijack leanza.

Thanks. Its really pretty easy. I cut my chuck rolls in three pieces so they are about the same size as a pork butt and cooked them the same way. I think this was about 90lbs of meat when I started. I was feeding about 250 people but, I also did some brats and chicken thighs. I think we ended up with about 15 thighs remaining when it was all over.

Nate

Can somebodly provide the answer to vr6Cop's question? I'd like to here more about the subject too.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here but, here is what I do.

I cut my chuck rolls to about 8lbs each. This makes them about the same size as a butt. And I cook them the same way as I do a butt. 225 degrees till my temp hits about 195 to 200. Then I wrap and put in a cooler and let them rest for at least 2 hours. The time will depend on your meat. It's never the same. I would say it takes about 6-8 hours for a 8lb roast. I always make sure their done early and let them sit in the cooler till I'm ready to pull and serve. Hope this helps. Not sure if this is even what your asking.

Nate

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here but, here is what I do.

I cut my chuck rolls to about 8lbs each. This makes them about the same size as a butt. And I cook them the same way as I do a butt. 225 degrees till my temp hits about 195 to 200. Then I wrap and put in a cooler and let them rest for at least 2 hours. The time will depend on your meat. It's never the same. I would say it takes about 6-8 hours for a 8lb roast. I always make sure their done early and let them sit in the cooler till I'm ready to pull and serve. Hope this helps. Not sure if this is even what your asking.

Nate

Did you happen to check your yield. The last time I did them I only got 47%. Pulls a little harder than pork in my opion. Sure tastes good though!

Did you happen to check your yield. The last time I did them I only got 47%. Pulls a little harder than pork in my opion. Sure tastes good though!

Sorry I didn't weigh the finished product. But I would assume that your figures are real close to what I got. I was planning on a yield of 50% and I ended with three full pans of beef. We started pulling the beef but, then we found is was easier and just as effective to chop it.

Nate

Can somebodly provide the answer to vr6Cop's question? I'd like to here more about the subject too.

I frequently cook a double cut 7-bone chuck roast, which will weigh about 10-11 pounds.
For me, in my cooker, running close to 275 [a little hotter than a lot of guys run around here] this size will take about one hour per pound to reach "pullable" stage. This is around 200 degrees internal, but as always, the probe or fork test is the final decider of done-ness.

I have found that doing smaller chuck roasts, the time will be proportionally longer, closer to 1.5 hours per pound.

my .o2

I frequently cook a double cut 7-bone chuck roast, which will weigh about 10-11 pounds.
For me, in my cooker, running close to 275 [a little hotter than a lot of guys run around here] this size will take about one hour per pound to reach "pullable" stage. This is around 200 degrees internal, but as always, the probe or fork test is the final decider of done-ness.

I have found that doing smaller chuck roasts, the time will be proportionally longer, closer to 1.5 hours per pound.

my .o2

Thanks qman, that helps. It appears cooking times vary. Cooking time is an important factor that working folk use to help decide what type of Q they can pull off when they plan their next cook.

Thanks qman, that helps. It appears cooking times vary. Cooking time is an important factor that working folk use to help decide what type of Q they can pull off when they plan their next cook.

The way you cook, anything will come out good! Still missing those carne asada tacos from the last backyard...

Back