Pulled Beef on Dutch Crunch Sourdough Rolls

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
The Pulled Beef throwdown had me realizing that in all my years of grilling I've never made Pulled Beef. There's always a first time for everything so let's see how well my experiment turns out.

But what to serve it on or with or how? A Google newsfeed article showed up a few days ago about Dutch Crunch aka Dutch Tiger Rolls. I've never heard of them so I did some research and found a good number of recipes. And of course I stumbled across a sourdough version of these so you know which one I picked. :wink:

Here's the dough last night after a good number of stretches. It's got a great consistency thanks to the addition of milk and eggs. Into the fridge for an overnight rest -

7GFN3oW.jpg

After leaving it out on the counter to rise this morning for a few hours I shaped it into dough balls -

hVvk1TL.jpg

I let those rest under a damp tea towel for about 90 minutes -

jTiI9P1.jpg

And then applied the paste that creates the crunchy tops -

nBIw3Fn.jpg

txeddhp.jpg

Here they are baked. The tops weren't as crunchy as some recipes state (you're supposed to be able to break a tooth on them), but they were fine nonetheless -

slcL2xc.jpg

ZvZK1Cf.jpg

On to the Pulled Beef. I know that most recipes say to use a chuck roast. But chuck roast was $6 per pound MORE than Bottom Round so I went with Bottom Round. If it turns out a decent meal, that's a win. If it doesn't, then so it goes -

34nikvZ.jpg

I injected it, seasoned it with Bovine Bold and it's ready for the Goldens'.

lEe3zTx.jpg

Indirect, temps around 275F. I wanted to capture any juices so I kept it in a baking dish -

E8vxWCA.jpg

At an internal temp of 165F I covered it with foil and brought it up to around 205F. Total cook time just under 5 hours -

evr50oD.jpg

qyJG5vG.jpg

Over on the Blackstone some frozen Fries are getting crisp -

ASO4I3B.jpg

After a short rest, I pulled it and mixed it with the juices collected in the pan -

703PuA8.jpg

Time to build a Pulled Beef Sandwich!

JY0vVXp.jpg

OoGRq8q.jpg

HO6d2Z6.jpg

FO1cdgp.jpg

Iu0BARX.jpg

So how was it? In one word: Excellent! The Mrs and I both think we prefer Pulled Beef over Pulled Pork. The beef was tender, despite my thinking that bringing it up to 205 would make it tough. Definitely not so.

The Dutch Crunch rolls were fabulous. The texture was great, the sourdough taste was superb. I'd be curious to hear from any other members with knowledge of these. As mentioned, I'd never come across these before but they'll be on my "bake again" list.

That's it. Dom's take on Pulled Beef and Dutch Crunch rolls. One of these photos will be used as a throwdown entry.

Thanks as always, for following along on tonight's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks delicious, Beef wins over Pork anyday
Our Local asian bread shop sells Tiger rolls, but I bet no where near as good as yours.
I have found a Thermomix recipe so we may try that

As a fellow sour dough guy. I really appreciate your post. My popovers were great, thanks to you. Have you made crackers yet?

That looks stupendous, Dom - love the rolls too. If we were giving bonus points on the Throwdown, you'd get some for using bottom round vs the usual chuck etc.

And I agree with you - I'll take pulled beef over pulled pork, even though I really like pulled pork!

I’ve had Dutch crunch down in the Bay Area. Don’t get why it isn’t popular in other areas. Great sandwich bread.

Now I want to try it in sourdough form.

Everything looks great. Killer job!

We have these rolls all the time as our local supermarket has them. They are great.
Yours look almost perfect, I bet with the sourdough they are better then the regular version we get.

Another amazing cook Dom!

I’ve had Dutch crunch down in the Bay Area. Don’t get why it isn’t popular in other areas. Great sandwich bread.

Now I want to try it in sourdough form.

Everything looks great. Killer job!

Yeah, the original article said these were popular in the San Francisco area, but weren't a hit elsewhere. Even though they didn't seem to originate in the Bay area the fact that they were somehow unique to the region had me intrigued. I'm always one to try and recreate regional tastes even if I've never had it before.

As you say I don't know why these aren't more popular. At the very least, they're a neat looking roll.

Dom,,,,you always nail it !
Looks outstanding,,,,,,
Any leftovers ????

Oh yeah, plenty of leftovers! I may griddle a roll or two up for breakfast with some leftover pulled beef and eggs. That'll beat an Egg McMuffin any morning. :wink:

For those wanting the Dutch Crunch sourdough recipe, here's the one i used:

https://foodgeek.dk/en/tiger-bread-rolls-recipe/

There are plenty of non sourdough recipes out there but since my starter was active...

My only concern was the inclusion of sesame oil in the topping. Yeast, water, rice flour, brown sugar, neutral oil, sesame oil, salt. No other recipes called for sesame oil. Once i mixed it and let it sit out for a while for the yeast to do its thing, the aroma seemed a bit overpowering. But it worked out as it should and the sesame flavor didn't dominate.

Back