Question about stick burners

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
BBQ'ers,

I am in the process of having a stick burner built (120 gallon reverse flow trailer mount). I have a few questions as I have been smoking on a WSM for the past 3+ years.

1. With a stick burner, will I need to keep an active flame going (large and hot to start and the small and hot to smoke) for the entire cooking process? With the WSM the charcoal is smoldering with no actual fire per se.

2. What is the best way to store wood and is a half cord a good start? I live in a town home with a 35' x 22' backyard.

3. Is there a method to cure the firebox so that it does not rust?

Lastly, if there is a question I should be asking but am not, please feel free to pile on.

I appreciate all information. And anyone in the Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania region looking for a builder, let me know. This guy does 60 and 120 gallon patios and 120 and 250 trailers.

1. With a stick burner, will I need to keep an active flame going (large and hot to start and the small and hot to smoke) for the entire cooking process? With the WSM the charcoal is smoldering with no actual fire per se.

Every smoker is different. I have a Lang reverse flow. There's always a fairly medium sized fire in there, not an inferno mind you, but a little flame in there, charcoal and small splits mixed. Learning fire control is key.

Lake Dogs got #1 covered.

2) Ideally store the wood off the ground, on pallets or something else, and have it covered either by a roof or tarp. You want air to be able to circulate around the wood and keep it dry. It's not a necessity to have it covered but keeps it dry for when it's needed. I'd say 1/2 cord is as good a place to start as any. You may also want to get different varieties of wood to mix.

3)Many people rub the firebox down with cooking oil to season the metal and prevent it from rusting. I've never done that and only have to repaint my firebox every few years. I don't cook on it a lot since i usually use my wsm's.

Basically it's going to come down to running the pit and learning how to use it since each one is different and there's no "cookie-cutter" way to run a pit instructions. Some can be run on charcoal while others need logs. What size logs, how many, how often to refuel, etc will be answered when you get into using it. So get out there and start cooking.

Once it's completed (fingers crossed for this weekend) I plan on hitting restaurant depot for a case of spares and having a good time with it.

I'm upgrading the wheels/tires from 12" to 14". I reasoned that the 12s were just too small for traveling up and down I-95 at 70 mph.

BBQ'ers,

I am in the process of having a stick burner built (120 gallon reverse flow trailer mount). I have a few questions as I have been smoking on a WSM for the past 3+ years.

Looks like you got some good advice so far on this, I switch it up sometimes I run a larger fire than usual, other times I keep it small and mostly coals. Just remember try to get the wood through the combustion stage quickly, if you let it smolder there may be too much smoke.
A fire basket helps in fire control. Keep a supply of small splits and medium size splits. When you start your fire burn all your junk wood first, knotty stuff bad cuts and stuff like that, then once your temp is up and you have a decent coal bed, you can add the food and cook. Keep some lump on hand too just in case your need to bring the coal bed back quickly.

2. What is the best way to store wood and is a half cord a good start? I live in a town home with a 35' x 22' backyard.

Ditto Zak

3. Is there a method to cure the firebox so that it does not rust?

Some Paint, some oil, I just spray a little cooking oil on the firebox make sure to get the bottom as well, I usually oil a rag and wipe the bottom.

Lastly, if there is a question I should be asking but am not, please feel free to pile on.

Learn your smokers hot spots you can do this by using cheap biscuits placed ever 4 - 6 inches apart then check the bottoms and make a note of the hot spots.

Learn fire control

Learn how to use the air intakes

Learn the heat output and longevity of your fuel such as different wood species and lump or a combination of both.

I appreciate all information. And anyone in the Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania region looking for a builder, let me know. This guy does 60 and 120 gallon patios and 120 and 250 trailers.

Good luck!

BBQ'ers,

Depends. Depends on the thickness of the steel, depends on if it is insulated, depends on if the firebox is insulated, depends on if it is windy, raining, 90 degrees out or below freezing. There is no 1 size fire fits all situations. Regardless of the size of fire to maintain the temperature, it has to remain clean burning.

One aspect not covered... take a little effort getting the new smoker level.

Since a reverse flow smoker will have smoke and thermal energy running in multiple directions... the unevenness will cause unusual temp differences front to back and left to right. By raising/lowering a particular side of the smoker will change the temperature without touching the air/fuel content.

That was something I had no idea about, thanks for the insight. I am looking forward to getting this thing hone and smoking up the neighborhood as I learn more about using an reverse flow.

Back