THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regardless of what material you lay down, every single person cooking with fire should have a fire extinguisher handy - and I mean handy - and make sure it's checked a couple times a year for pressure. They lose pressure over time and you don't want to find out it won't spray at a critical moment. Get one with the dial where you can see what the pressure is - don't cheap out.

Excellent recommendation!!!!!

Regardless of what material you lay down, every single person cooking with fire should have a fire extinguisher handy - and I mean handy - and make sure it's checked a couple times a year for pressure. They lose pressure over time and you don't want to find out it won't spray at a critical moment. Get one with the dial where you can see what the pressure is - don't cheap out.

Paul,

Don't get the "slippery" warnings. You won't be skating on the extra foot or 2 that hangs out for safety, eh?

Get a sheet of plywood, hit Lowes and get a few small sheets of sheet metal and some flat heat phillips screws. Mount the sheet metal, lay it down and put the cooker over it. You ought to have enough room to ensure saftey, even in the event of a hot briquette escapee. Safety, and easy cleanup.

In my drum, the fire basket is about 2 1/2" off of the bottom with a pizza pan for ashes. I set the whole drum on 3 bricks so it's not directly on my porch.
I kept me eye on it for the first few smokes and it barely gets warm, so now I don't give it much mind. Plus, my fire never burns to the bottom of my basket.

Sounds good to me Bill and for me the most economical approach. The Ole Hickory CTO will reside in it's own cabinet and will not be moved around so this will be an easy fix. The WSM, Weber OTG, Master Forge, UDS, and SS Gasser will probably be moved around a little but I think I will just assign a spot for cooking with these cookers, put the metal down, and make sure whichever cooker I use I just move it over the the protected area.

Paul,

Don't get the "slippery" warnings. You won't be skating on the extra foot or 2 that hangs out for safety, eh?

Get a sheet of plywood, hit Lowes and get a few small sheets of sheet metal and some flat heat phillips screws. Mount the sheet metal, lay it down and put the cooker over it. You ought to have enough room to ensure saftey, even in the event of a hot briquette escapee. Safety, and easy cleanup.

Using pavers would require me lift up the non-mobile WSM onto the pavers as well as to have to pull the other cookers up over the thickness of the pavers. When you are as old and broke down as I am things have to be super easy so I want to use something that the cookers can roll onto easily. Thanks for the recommendations. Later on I might could imbed some of the pavers into the deck so that they would be floor level.

Just use 1' X 1' square pavers. Cost under a $1 a pice, and they look better on the deck.

Back