Put your brisket trimmings to use

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
And make tallow with the fat, throw the red meat in the grinder, then grind your fat, put the ground fat into a pan, put in the oven or a crock pot at a low temperature, and cook until the remaining unrendered parts are brown. I do it in a 4” half sheet pan in the oven on 250* for 7-8 hours. Once fully rendered, pour the warm (not hot) contents through a strainer then into a jar.

The last round of trimmings from two briskets got me a few pounds of ground beef and these mason jars full of tallow. Use the tallow for cooking brisket, or in place of typical cooking oils. Works great for searing steaks in a pan or on the griddle :thumb:

About 2/3 the way there

Liquid gold

Last edited:
Nice way of getting max yield. I usually use my trimmings for sausage.

Id probably do that too if the amount of fat I wind up with wasn’t so much greater than what I get as sausage base. So most of the time I didn’t know what to do with it all, and some or all would wind up in the trash.

Nice way of getting max yield. I usually use my trimmings for sausage.

This x100

Always save for that buck you shoot for deer hamburger/sausage. I don't even bother with the local butchers, i just use my commercial grinder and saved up beef/pork fat trimmings.

I save the trimmings and add to the Chuck, or whatever is on sale, when grinding burger.
I'll have to try a batch of tallow.
It looks like we all value and use the trimmings. :cool:

All right you fat grinders out there, I need some advice. I am prepping for my annual deer grind that I do with a couple of hunting buddies. Last year we wound up with ground venison that gave us a 200 pound yield of 80% venison and 20% fat. I will spare the long details of the grinding process for another thread. My concern is the fat.

When you grind your brisket trimmings, do you use only the hard fat? Or do you include the softer fat that may or may not contain a coating on it similar to the silver skin found on the separate muscles of venison? I am meticulous about removing the silver skin on venison that goes into the grinder as I find it can clog up the plate on the grinder so I am assuming this coating on soft fat would do the same. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,

Juggy

Last brikset (June) I did the same thing. Tallow and I have a few lbs of brisket burger meat and it was TASTY!

All right you fat grinders out there, I need some advice. I am prepping for my annual deer grind that I do with a couple of hunting buddies. Last year we wound up with ground venison that gave us a 200 pound yield of 80% venison and 20% fat. I will spare the long details of the grinding process for another thread. My concern is the fat.

When you grind your brisket trimmings, do you use only the hard fat? Or do you include the softer fat that may or may not contain a coating on it similar to the silver skin found on the separate muscles of venison? I am meticulous about removing the silver skin on venison that goes into the grinder as I find it can clog up the plate on the grinder so I am assuming this coating on soft fat would do the same. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,

Juggy

I mainly only use the hard fat, which there is often quite a bit of, and leave out "silver skin" or things like that. Especially if I'm going to be eating that fat in ground form somehow. I'm slightly less discerning for tallow, because anything that doesn't render into tallow after the cooking process gets tossed into the trash.

I also do my tallow on the pit when the brisket is cooking.

Meat trimmings end up as brisket smash burgers on the griddle

I'll probably do a batch this way sometime. The way I've often been using the tallow, smokiness may not be desired, and I'm not sure how much of that actually winds up in flavor of the final product.

I'll probably do a batch this way sometime. The way I've often been using the tallow, smokiness may not be desired, and I'm not sure how much of that actually winds up in flavor of the final product.

I had about six pounds of Wagyu fat trimmings that I culled two pound of soft fat that I was afraid to use in the grinder due to plate clogging concerns. Those concerns apparently were warranted and thanks for your advice. I made tallow from those two pounds of soft fat on my WSM. I did two one-pound batches using a vegetable grate on the top shelf and placed a pan underneath on an elevated shelf atop of the lower shelf so the drippings did not have far to be captured. Cooked at 275-300F for 90 minutes or until it appeared the fat pieces were pretty much rendered. I did use a little bit of pecan in the process and it is noticeable in the product, but not overwhelming. Those two pounds yielded about three pints of tallow.

Lager,

Juggy

Yeah I could see how wagyu fat in general could be more difficult to grind, especially if it isn't very cold, all the wagyu briskets I've cooked had a much softer texture with the fat compared to commodity.

Yeah I could see how wagyu fat in general could be more difficult to grind, especially if it isn't very cold, all the wagyu briskets I've cooked had a much softer texture with the fat compared to commodity.

I would like to see a comparison of waygu fat vs prime or choice fat rendered into tallow. My palate can barely tell the difference between veg oil, peanut oil, and corn oil. I can tell olive oil slightly from others.

I'm guessing that the tallow becomes solid (lard) after it cools so does anyone use the smoked tallow in baking?
I just had a delicious thought of smoke flavored pastie dough?????
Ed

Back