THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I make up a finishing sauce that I apply fairly liberally to the butt once it's rested and I pull it apart.

Finishing sauce:

3 cups cider vinegar
1.5 cups brown sugar
0.5 cup ketchup
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

All ingredients go into a pot to a low simmer for ten mins, stirring throughout.

The darker the rub on the butt.....the better this sauce works. I want to try substituting the brown sugar for some type of Splenda brown sugar and see how it does...see if I can get the same flavor yet cut the carbs.

This sounds like one I had several years ago that worked very well. The dark Splenda may be a little sweeter. I use it in everything. There is a conversion chart on the bag. ,

How long have you kept this in the fridge?

Didn't go all through the thread to see if anyone beat me to it, but my family's favorite is mixing equal parts pan drippings from the butt and Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce, heat and mix in right after pulling.

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

1/2 for the pull and half for sammies

Made this for a pork butt I smoked a few days ago...

Wow. Tang you can feel in your wang! Good eats!

Sorry I don't have a recipe but this is one I had in Goldsboro NC in the sixties that I use all the time and highly recommend ...Scott's BBQ sauce a true eastern Carolina style.

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

Dangit...two year old post and yet I'm still going to respond...I got sucked in!!!!!!

Scott's is a great vinegar sauce...a true North Carolina sauce...but NOT an Eastern North Carolina sauce. It IS still manufactured & sold from Goldsboro which is solidly in the East...but Scott's is actually a Piedmont style sauce who masquerades in the East.

Sorry to burst that bubble.

(I actually buy Scott's by the case at work & always have an open bottle at home ready to go)<<<>>>(true Eastern North Carolinian who doesn't mind admitting that Scott's is the best)

SJ I’ve only been to Atlanta once. But that once ruined me. Similar to losing interest in shooting Hill Country deer after shooting a 6X6 Colorado elk black powder. This sandwich is The Benchmark- promise. If you google “heirloom market kimchi cole slaw” there are several recipes as well as their sauce recipes published. It’s that good. I’ve made similar with additions to Stubbs Sweet Heat. Kimchi is in all stores and add a slice of pickled ginger(if not included).
Loving the fish photos.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/din...rloom-market-bbqs-spicy-korean-pork-sandwich/

My apologies if I just repeated myself

Last edited:
Back