Professional judging, or lack thereof

chics

If your right, I think chicken scores better because of the presention! Just look at all the pics of posted chickens they look great, beef & ribs have to be up there also, to me sliced pork looks better then pulled pork, but not always. I've seen alot & tasted it all. I have no problem telling whats bad, you can see bad. If KCBS could do people a favor get rid of garnish, some teams are out on appearance alone, I know it's the food but if you could only see some of the box's. I judged a contest in St Joseph Mo and it was very very tough on presentation, I almost thought everybody was copying everybody else, garnish & presentation was top notch in everybox, it told me that these teams have done their home work. I'm sure the scores were close.

WoW the Things you will read in the Middle of the Night

Well I have just stumbled on this thread.. :icon_blush:
Please Please remember this is our Hobby sure we have
lots of passion about this fine sport of BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
I just poured a fresh Vodker so if I spell anything wrong
just blame it on the Vodker.. I really wish people would stop
slamming Judges when they score poorly.. They give an afternoon
or even a Weekend of their time to judge our food.. I do believe that
there is an element of luck in a BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! contests..
But with that said.. if it was all luck and bad judges all the contests
would end in a crap shoot.. Teams that cook consistantly good
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! get calls.. Look at ISS and IQUE for a couple
they know how to cook good BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! Those two teams
do well because they are good consistant cooks.. Ique took 1st in
brisket at the Royal and this weekend at New Platz because Chris
cooks a killer brisket.. You still need to have your food land of a table
of judges that like what you gave them.. Flavor is still a personal taste
But the top teams win a lot because the cook consistant BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
ISS,IQUE,Lottabull , Cancersuckschicago and HomeBBQ.. Cook killer
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
One of the first things I learned from a wise BBQ pitmaster. Uncle Jed.
If you think that was the best BBQ meat you ever cooked it will
most likely tank.. and if you think it sucks.. It might just do pretty well..
If we piss off all the Judges we won't be able to have any more contests
Are they right all the time NOT!! Thats why KCBS drops the low score
to try an level the playing field.. Please just rememeber that just because
you uncle willy thinks you make the best ribs in the world they might just
be OK.. What you turn in on saturday moght just be DAL and the same
product on sunday could come in 1st place.. Please don't take this
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! tooo personal... Unless your using wasabi glaze
on your brisket.. I am a KCBS CBJ never during my class did they
talk a about KCBS style BBQ.. They talk about what well cooked meat
should taste like.. We have never cook in South Carolina but I would
guess if you don't give them a vinegar sauce with your pulled pork you
will tank.. There is a lot of personal taste in judging BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
I wise BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! cook once told me you have one bite to WoW
the a Judge and I truely believe most CBJ's want to give every entry a
fare shake.. Judging BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! is a Judges hobby just as cooking
BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! is cooking teams hobby.. We need each other..
Just please play nice.. :biggrin:

BBQSMYBFF - I think you need a new keyboard. Your period.. key.. seems.. to be.. sticky.. Of course, if you get.. paid.. by.. the.. period.., rock on.. your shift key also appears to be... malfunctioning. :wink:
John

I've been at this for 10 years, and I sometimes get frustrated, too. As has been written before, instead of trying to change the minds of many, you can change your own mind, and thereby, your approach to cooking competition BBQ.

You say they should not judge by what they like, but by what works. But if they don't like it, then obviously it doesn't work for them!

Personally, I love wasabi glaze, and now that you mentioned it, I'll probably use some tonight for MY dinner, but I guarantee you I won't use it at my next contest...sorry Sully!

I will also not use it at my next catering gig, because I doubt it would be appreciated by more than a handful of guests.

I try to treat a competition the same way I'd treat cooking for friends, family or for a party...cook they way THEY like it.

If I'm cooking for myself, I cook what I like, if I'm cooking for you, I'm going to try and cook what you like. I love spicy food, but I'm not going to convince my mother, for example, that habenero is good on ribs, so she gets ribs they way she likes them.

That being said, again I've been at this 10 years, and as soon as I figure out what the judges like, I'll let you know. :confused:

By the by...Sully - Vodker? Bwwwaaaahahahahaha!!

Sean, excellent points about judging...I'll save them for future reference:icon_devil

Maybe you should take a judging class and then judge a contest and you can get a real feel for what is being turned in. Everyone thinks their BBQ is good and so do their friends and families. They are the worse ones to listen to.

I always say that the only person who I really trust with respect to how my bbq tastes is my wife. As everyone knows, wife's are brutally honest. :-D

I always say that the only person who I really trust with respect to how my bbq tastes is my wife. As everyone knows, wife's are brutally honest. :-D

Amen....my wife is my worlds best critic, my neighbors are my second.
If you dont trust their opinions........your in trouble.

Amen....my wife is my worlds best critic, my neighbors are my second.
If you dont trust their opinions........your in trouble.

Ditto...I'm doing my first solo comp soon with my wife. She'll be my "official" taster. If it passes her pallete...it'll be good enough for me!

I hope to get a walk or two and I'll do my best to make sure all is on schedule according to our game plan...but that's as far as I'm gonna worry about.

The majority of my BBQ is for family, friends, and co-workers (who think I'm a BBQ God! :biggrin:)...there's my walk! :p

in 2007, we competed in a local contest and our ribs scored 5th out of 42 (i think). we were on cloud 9. in 2008, we competed at the same contest with the same ribs and finished 39th out of 39.

same scenario and now we are talking pork. in 2007 we got 4th and in 2008 it was 11th.

when we left the contest i was upset about our rib score, but the more i thought about it i realized that our ribs probably weren't 5th the year before and probably weren't 39th the next. the real result was probably somewhere in between.

BTW, now i'm really ready to get back to that contest next year and get the sour taste out of my mouth.

I did three monster cooks before our first KCBS contest, changing things and got my wifes and neighbors opinions before my first contest.
Our team took 3rd in chicken, I was blown away and really wonder why I ever want to do another contest.
In no way am I gloating here.........but ive reached my pinnacle in life in my profession so still wondering why I bother doing competitions.
Rather host a Brethren Bash here on my property and just enjoying life.

Personally, I love wasabi glaze...

By the by...Sully - Vodker? Bwwwaaaahahahahaha!!

BTW - My buddy came back from a trip to California with two bottles of Wasabi Vodka. I thought it was horrible stuff, but he and his wife love it! Tastebuds are very mysterious things indeed.

:cool:

We are weird and try different things and it bit us on the A$$ at Madison. I thought, no WE thought everything was good and it was scored that way. Middle of the pack, which is good not great. The Judges got it right.

i think everyone did because of the poor judging.. i have not been in the competition end of this stuff very long but i know good bbq and i know what tastes good.... since i refuse to dumb down my bbq for those judges we got beat for it... the food was amazing and yet nothing.. not even a walk.. we got 899,789, 887, 765, and 764 in one category... and then i get a 4 from one judge on APPLE TENDERNESS!!?!? what a joke.. we made a complete flop for the apples and they loved the junk.. you know what it was!?!? A DAMN BOBOLI PIZZA CRUST WITH EVERY LEFT OVER WE HAD IN OUR FRIDGE, FROM PULLED PORK, TO HONEY HAM, TO BLUE CHEESE, MOZZ CHEESE... it was good.. but looked like hell and we took 7th!!!

judgeing at these competitions has become and joke and unless the KCBS changes their judging and gets professionals and some standardized judging into these comps i am done!!!!!

As a KCBS judge, the next time I drive 10 hours each way, take an unpaid day off, pay my own meals and motel, and truely try to judge objectively, as an avid competitor and judge, I will appreciate how little you think about my dedication. Thanks a lot for for you appreciation of my voluntary work for my love of BBQ. Makes me feel really good to have someome like you cooking at the event. DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR SELFISH AND UNAPPRIATED, AMATURE REMARKS. GROW UP!! This forum is full of unselfish tutors from the best. Life is full of curves we do not like. To rant and rave is childish. You stated you know good bbq and taste??? Wish everyone was as great as you think you are. My apology to the great brethren on this forum. This has been a truely life changing experience for my bbq because of the unselfish sharing of recipes, techniques, times, tool, smokers, etc., and to have this self-centered rookie jerk, who thinks he knows it all, make these statements, just pi$$is me off. Kinda reminds me of some of my renters who think their unexected car expense is the reason they can not pay rent on time! IT IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE's FAULT!!! I SCORED BAD BECAUSE OF THE JUDGES...MY BBQ IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD AND THE JUDGES ARE STUPID AND UNPROFESSIONAL, IGNORANT, AND DON'T KNOW BBQ FROM FRIED CHICKEN. IT'S THEIR FAULT I DIDN'T WIN AND NOT MY FAULT. IT IS THEIR FAULT BECAUSE I KNOW BBQ AND TASTE OF BBQ AND I KNOW, SO THEY ARE THE REASON I DID'NT WIN. Sorry brethren, I sometimes just get tired of hearing about how everything is someone else's fault. EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES.

Meat Burner,

I would seriously suggest that you avoid threads like these. You obviously are very dedicated and take your role seriously.

Threads about how judges are the recipients of the generous benefices of cooks and how judges don't understand the dedication and efforts of cooks and can't properly judge until they do have such an understanding pop up with regularity here and on other forums.

Ignore them.

Admin note..

guys. Just in case some folks dont notice, and strictly as an FYI.. this is an old thread. Points been made and BBF has gotten the idea. MB just chimed in, but its from the archive.

no harm or foul, just dont want to open this one up like its fresh. Constructive stuff is still and always welcome.

Meat Burner... Cleansing breaths... Deep Cleansing breaths. In thru the nose, out thru the mouth. Think about puppies and walks on the beach. :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

I understand. Thanks for the education on thread knowledge. Love this place and turely appreciate the help and education. Thanks again, you know..passion is passion!

853034-stray-puppies-on-the-beach-0.jpg

tired-puppies.jpg

Just read that thread. Keeping my mouth shut. Have a lot of respect for bigmista but also understand that no one wins every game! Sometimes the best team doesn't win that particular day. Makes life interesting and fun.

Back