THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think it might have more to do with the meat itself and not how it was cooked, nor final internal temp. I do agree completely that it should be pulled around 140° then rested for a short time but i've cooked a lot of pork loins the exact same way and have come to realize that some come out great while others would be better tossed in the garbage. I will not buy loins that are in cryovacs and enhanced since i find those to be the biggest let-down. When the local grocery store has their untrimmed loins on sale i buy a couple and trim them up myself, i find them to be much juicier and tender than cryovac'd ones. Plus i get some ribs out of the deal for $.99 a pound. So try a different brand or store to see if you can't get a good loin.

My target is 130 degrees.

Comes out moist and tender every time and yes I am still alive.

You could have come into chat and we would have helped you!

I usually pull mine at the 140 mark +/- a few degrees. When cooked less, the kids seem to sometimes just stop chewing with a mouth full of mush and look at me like WTH?? It usually still comes out pink with a rest sitting in the microwave for 15-30 minutes.

As far as food safety is concerned, Alton Brown is quoted as saying Trichinella spiralis dies at 137 degrees. An interesting statistic from Wikipedia:

Trichinosis (also trichinellosis) is a disease caused by tissue-dwelling roundworms of the species . In the United States, the national trichinellosis surveillance system has documented a steady decline in the reported incidence of this disease. During 1947 to 1951, a median of 393 cases was reported annually, including 57 trichinellosis-related deaths. During 1997-2001, the incidence decreased to a median of 12 cases annually, with no reported deaths. The decline of infection was largely associated with changes implemented by the U.S. pork industry that have resulted in reduced prevalence of Trichinella among domestic swine.

This loin was likely in the lower 140's at its peak during resting.

IMG_0052.jpg

As many above have already stated, I like em on the cool side cooked fast. Smoke with cherry or apple wood @ 300-350 till 137ish then rest for 30 minutes.

Someone mentioned loins are void of juices and don't benefit from an extended rest. I disagree with that notion. My loins always turn out juicy, and I don't brine or inject. Loins are only void of juices if you cook the crapola out of them.

FWIW, one of my favorite loin marinades is any form of jamaican jerk. Soak overnight and toss on the cooker straight out of the fridge to keep it in the smoke a bit longer before reaching "done" temp.

A typical loin cook for me only takes about 1.5 hours on the cooker to reach target temps.

---whistle--- ---flag on the play---

Here we go again?
If you go the the Q-Talk Roadmap, Post #4 is about Loins. The first link listed there is one where our famous brother willkat98 posts his method. I believe he even refers to it as a modified ... wait for it... cook like brisket method.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97074&postcount=10

(I heavily edited, so please refer to the original thread for all the details.)

.... I just got an idea for the current Throwdown. I just wish I was going to be home this weekend. Dang.

This is the way I cooked a loin on New Years Day and it was great. I don't know if this is the "right way" but it was the best loin ever.

Come to think of it, I cooked my loin like a brisket! :boxing::becky:

I have been a pork loin fan for years... ever since I learned NOT to over cook them. Pull 'em anywhere from 145 to 150. If it goes to 165, it's not going to be as enjoyable.

In the last 6 mos. I've changed over to pork sirloin tips. Around here, loins are $2.29 a lb and tips are $1.99 (Costco). The pork sirloin tip is a texture much closer to a pork tenderloin, which is $3.99 a lb.

I season the tips the same and cook them the same, but the cooking time is about half, because they are in the 2lb to 3lb range as opposed to a whole loin in the 8 to 10lb range. Today, I learned that others have figured this out and Costco tips are now $2.29 while the loin is $2.25.

I'm sticking with the tips until the price gets outrageous (perhaps $2.89) at which point I will revert back to the loin.

Incidentally, the pork sirloin tip is about 98% lean (similar to the loin) but I think that's even more lean than a chicken breast... For those of you watching your fat calories - "fat" chance :p!

I do them lo n slow with a finish time in about 1.5 hrs @ 250.

I don't believe they require wrapping or resting, but if I plan on re-warming them later, the wrap works exceptionally well.

Happy Eating!

Back