Prime Rib Trim Question

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I usually trim the top layer of fat off a prime rib so the seasoning and smoke will get to the meat. Just curious what others here do. Trim or leave it?

c2319f07bb2d3765a07d9032fc2296f0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I personally leave it and let it render off while cooking. Its true though that the seasoning wont really get to the meat. There is so much meat the seasoning wont really get too deep into the meat anyways.

Currently I am doing a smoke on a prime rib as well. I am hoping to take all of the fat from the drip pan and use it to make yorkshire puddings.

- G

I trim the fat, then tie so the shape is uniform. Then I round off any square corners (like a little chamfer) and cook them around 225°. I bought a bone-in one for Easter and removed the bones and cooked them Friday while the roast was drying in the fridge.

Z0lA59z.jpg

I trim the fat, then tie so the shape is uniform. Then I round off any square corners (like a little chamfer) and cook them around 225°. I bought a bone-in one for Easter and removed the bones and cooked them Friday while the roast was drying in the fridge.

Z0lA59z.jpg

I spy a millionaire!
Ed

I spy a millionaire!
Ed

I wish. This was for a employee/contractor appreciation luncheon. Myself and a friend from work (who designed this cabinet smoker) cooked the whole spread saving about $700 from the caterer's quote. It was the easiest cook for a group I have ever done.... prime rib cooks itself.

rNerpg0.jpg

Back