THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We use Crock pot and IP. Biggest complaint about cp is temps are too high. We mainly use IP like others for rice and hard boiled eggs and occasionaly corned beef. All in all happy with both. Right tool for right job :-D

For me the saute isn't even that great and if I'm making a big batch that requires a good saute or even light caramelization I use a regular pan and then dump into the IP.

Same, I mostly use it just to get a little (very little) color on things before cooking, or to bring sauces to a boil to thicken them after cooking.

I've got my All American 921 (21.5 QT)for serious jobs. Guess it's called the 1930 now? Insane how much they go for currently. :shocked:

s1iwVE2l.jpg

For everything else I have the Power Pressure Cooker XL (8QT). They no longer exist so I'm waiting for this thing to die after so much use and abuse but it just won't. When it eventually dies I'll get a InstantPot for sure. They're great daily drivers for some solid meals, rice, beans, steaming, you name it.

bu15uVql.jpg

I have pressure canners for canning food.
Pressure cookers for quick cooking food.
Also an Instant pot for quick cooking food.

You probably don't need a pressure canner unless you plan on preserving food.
Pressure cookers are nice but simple.
The instant pot is just a pressure cooker with bells and whistles.

If I were you, I'd go with an Instant pot for the size and convenience. :-D

Last edited:
Done no research comparing a traditional pressure cooker to an InstaPot. Sounds like IP gets the nod from most of you. For those with experience with both, what is it about IP that makes it safer/better?

I think we still have two pressure cookers, really nice German models that we got in Europe. Nothing cooks chickpeas the same. An IP has a pressure cooker option with a few other bells and whistles. One HUGE positive is that you put the pressure cooker on the stove and have to monitor the temperature, adjusting the flame up and down to keep the pressure in a range. This isn't a big deal and you normally only have to make a couple adjustments, but the IP plugs in and does the pressure monitoring for you because the heater is built in. I don't have to monitor it and instead can spend time commenting on this thread. Since we got the instapot, we haven't used the pressure cookers.

Thanks to all for input. You sold me on the "Instant Pot".

Curious about the dimensions. What is the smallest size that has an 8" diameter inside bottom of the bowl?

Ordered a 6 quart yesterday, thinking the ID of the bowl will be at least 8". Poster on the sports forum said his 8 quart is 10".

Picked up a couple flats, red potatoes, carrots, and cabbage for the test drive.

IP is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Not sure that's gonna happen since we're supposed to get 4-8" of snow by this time tomorrow.

Two different tools. PC is used mainly for canning and IP for cooking.

For PC - All American is the way to go.

Way before the instant po like 2decades ago I got sucked into a demo of a pressure fryer at a home and garden show. Makes the best fried chicken, like KFC. The stove top style can get a high pressure than an instant pot. However, as mentioned the pressure has to be controlled manually by adjusting the heat source. The spinning hissing weighted valve cover always freaked my wife out. The instant pot is quiet when it comes to pressure and it controls it. Great tool to have and the surprise to me is the great cheesecakes I can pull over in under an hour

Stove top pressure cooker here.
They are perfectly safe as long as you use them properly (add water/liquid as per instruction and check safety valves before using)

I go through stages of using mine. Great for curries, stews, etc.
Disadvantage is that you can't see what's happening

Advantage of the stove top version: you can fry properly before putting pressure.
I also use mine as just a big pot.

Useful to have?
Depends on what you like to eat and your cooking methods

I'll call it a successful first run with the IP. Hit the 3+# corned beef flat with a lot of pickling spice. Onion, garlic, sea salt, BP. Used a few cups of turkey stock (was about to expire) for the liquid. 75 minutes. Very tasty without being too salty.

Was equally impressed the way the red skins, carrots, and cabbage came out in only a 4 minute cook time.

Back