THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

food4thot

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Erik, E
Never tried. Sort of the anti-slow cooker?

Thinking about getting one to dink with. Mom had one.

I would get an Insta-Pot. They are wonderful, and will set to time and go off if you need it to. We have used ours a bunch, for soups, chicken or pork for shredding, apple sauce, baked potatoes, and more.

We have the Insta-Pot and use it infrequently, but enjoy the results when we do. I suppose how one uses it and what they cook will drive opinions and usage. I've settled in on things that need to cook a long time, or benefit specifically from the pressure aspect. My hesitancy to use it stems from, IMHO, it is a pain in the a$$ to clean. There are a few parts that need to be washed. The lid contains a silicone washer on the inside used to form a good seal. It's not the easiest thing to remove and reinstall after washing. The lid also has parts for sealing two different vents, that are small and would be easy to lose. In short, time savings from pressure cooking are somewhat offset by the additional time required to use the cooker, over a crockpot or pot on the stove. On a positive note, I really enjoy the results of corned beef / cabbage and other beef cuts.

I use the instant pot for cooking beans. Put 'em
in dry, add water, salt. bay leaf, half an onion and a coupla cloves of garlic. Set for 30 or 35 minutes on hi, let cool naturally, beans are intact but velvety smooth every time.nomore soaking overnight BS.

My wife makes yogurt in the Instant Pot every week. That alone has easily paid for the appliance.

To clean the bowl, I simmer a citric acid solution for an hour or two. Then a few quick swipes and it looks brand new again. I love the thick stainless bowl!

I have an All-Clad PC8. Works well, but doesn't get used very often. I like that I can use it as a pot when not being used as a pressure cooker.

I think only the Instapot Max can reach full pressure cooker pressures (15psi).

I have one. It's been collecting dust in four different garages for the past 30+ years. My wife fears using it and I have not had the need for it either.

Old fashioned pressure cookers are great. Learn how to use one they can be dangerous.

Wife bought me one for Christmas several years ago because I used to talk about my mother using one all the time when I was a kid. However, the instructions were very vague and using it scared the she-ite out of me. I then found the Instant Pot on a great sale at Kohls in 2017 and bought one for myself and DIL. Much easier to use.

After trying to give it away to multiple family and friends, the new, barely used pressure cooker went to the Salvation Army.

Love the Instant Pot.

Done no research comparing a traditional pressure cooker to an InstaPot. Sounds like IP gets the nod from most of you. For those with experience with both, what is it about IP that makes it safer/better?

It's not a tool I use all the time but it does come in handy a few times a year or when I do pastrami or can something.

all-american-stovetop-pressure-cookers-010015-ckr-64-1000.jpg

Done no research comparing a traditional pressure cooker to an InstaPot. Sounds like IP gets the nod from most of you. For those with experience with both, what is it about IP that makes it safer/better?

Its Instant Pot btw. And its electric, thats what makes it safer/better.

We just bought a second (smaller) instant pot, so we can do a meat in one and a side (mostly rice) in the other. They're great for what they do. Shredded chicken from frozen breasts in like 20 minutes. Super easy "boiled" eggs that peel like a charm. Brown rice in 20 minutes instead of an hour+ .

I don't have any experience with other electric pressure cookers, but I like the "set and forget" ability of the IP. Just put what you need to in, press a couple buttons, and walk away. No need to fuss with temperature like the stove top models. One thing I will say about the IP though, don't fall for the "extra" features and more buttons. I have only ever used mine on manual, or saute. The other 8 or so functions have never been touched.

We have 2 IPs as well. But it's one for smelly foods, one for non-smelly foods. Examples: Chili, Beef Stew, Curry VS rice, yogurt, cheese cake. It really sucks when your rice, or even worse your cheesecake picks up the scent of curry.

I don't have any experience with other electric pressure cookers, but I like the "set and forget" ability of the IP. Just put what you need to in, press a couple buttons, and walk away. No need to fuss with temperature like the stove top models. One thing I will say about the IP though, don't fall for the "extra" features and more buttons. I have only ever used mine on manual, or saute. The other 8 or so functions have never been touched.

I now have an IP which works awesome, but agree on only using those 2 settings too. For me the saute isn't even that great and if I'm making a big batch that requires a good saute or even light caramelization I use a regular pan and then dump into the IP.

My first pressure cooker was electric and can't remember the brand. Didn't have all the settings of the IP but again they aren't really needed for everyone. It died and so just went with IP since it was on a crazy sale at costco.

We have 2 IPs as well. But it's one for smelly foods, one for non-smelly foods. Examples: Chili, Beef Stew, Curry VS rice, yogurt, cheese cake. It really sucks when your rice, or even worse your cheesecake picks up the scent of curry.

I use one for pre smoked meats. You never get the smell out. Its great for finishing Pastrami.

It's so amazing that Instant Pot became the 'go-to' that everyone uses, but almost nobody calls it by the proper name. They've diversified quite a bit and I see they have everything. Dutch oven/crockpot thingie, air fryers, mixers, etc etc.

I have one at home and one at the kitchen. I use it primarily for dried beans, rice, and hard cooked eggs. The rice still needs a lot of attention so it doesn't go over, but the stove at the kitchen doesn't do 'simmer' very well, so this wins.

I'm actually quite curious to take a soup recipe and use every cooking method possible to compare the differences. Slow cooker low, slow cooker high, stove top, pressure cooker. I read a similar test on making chicken stock, and the winning answer was 'dutch oven, in the actual oven, lid cracked" Which one is better fresh out of the cooker? Which one is better as leftovers? Which one 'takes more effort than it's worth' ?

Back