Pre contest Jitters

I get amped up at every contest. Before, during and after waiting for rewards. That is part of the adrenaline rush that is so cool.

My recommendation is to drink heavily... OK it's really to make yourself a timeline and stick to it!!! Allow abliytle wiggle room for big meats to be done. But chicken and ribs should be dialed in to be done within 10 minutes... and remember to have fun. Beer in moderation will calm nerves though.

Just want to say hi. We will be at the Honky Tonk in North Platte. Look for Got Wood. Anything you need or forgot we will be glad to help in any way we can! We will be setting up on Thursday. BTW my name is Bill, see you there!

Good luck. While I don't feel "jitters" so to speak I do get ridiculously excited before each one. And when that stops I will stop. But I don't see that happening any time soon :razz:

I start getting ramped up around 10am especially if the big meats aren't done yet. I on occasion let out a few Rick Flair Woooooooooo's just to ease myself done a little bit.

Where are you cooking??

North Platte Honky Tonk BBQ Festival.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and bits of wisdom. I have a 2 beer limit on Friday, but after turn ins, it's anyone's guess.:biggrin1:

Thanks for the advice about small achievable goals. That will help..

The only goal we ever have is to get all four in on time.

So that 3rd place in NEBS TOY and 1st place for NEBS Rookie TOY was just a happy accident, eh? :biggrin:

Kidding aside, Gail and the other posters are on point. It's just cooking. Do what you do, have fun, and don't worry about the other teams. Our biggest competitor at a contest is ourselves. We know we can do well if we follow our process. My suggestions:
  • Do your thing. The time to innovate and try new stuff is at home, not at a contest. Don't second guess... "Maybe we should use a different sauce on this"
  • Write it down and check the list. What seems obvious and clear at home may slip your mind when it's 5AM, raining, and the power goes out for the 6th time.
  • Monitor, Monitor, Monitor. It's easy to cook one or two meats, but with four at a time things could go from moving slowly to happening very quickly all at once. Don't overcook one meat because you were focused on something else.
  • Relax. You know how to cook. Don't worry.

All I can say, Shane is...

I sure hope that Wyatt is going! :becky:

You'll do fine. Have fun and work on getting everything turned in on time. The rest will take care of itself.

If you have any questions at all,

just ask Wyatt :razz:.

Now y'all just KNOW he was joshin' about the whole "Head Cook" thingie...

Oh, and, go get 'em!

Our 1st comp of the season is not until Memorial Day weekend and I already have nervous. I competed in hundreds of wrestling matches growing up and I would almost puke before every match, even the ones where I knew I would win. Like someone else said, I would be nervous if I didn't get nervous.

So that 3rd place in NEBS TOY and 1st place for NEBS Rookie TOY was just a happy accident, eh? :biggrin:

Kidding aside, Gail and the other posters are on point. It's just cooking. Do what you do, have fun, and don't worry about the other teams. Our biggest competitor at a contest is ourselves. We know we can do well if we follow our process. My suggestions:
  • Do your thing. The time to innovate and try new stuff is at home, not at a contest. Don't second guess... "Maybe we should use a different sauce on this"
  • Write it down and check the list. What seems obvious and clear at home may slip your mind when it's 5AM, raining, and the power goes out for the 6th time.
  • Monitor, Monitor, Monitor. It's easy to cook one or two meats, but with four at a time things could go from moving slowly to happening very quickly all at once. Don't overcook one meat because you were focused on something else.
  • Relax. You know how to cook. Don't worry.

Chris - I forgot to add a suggestion...one that I very much wish I had followed last season...

Don't end up in the ER. :thumb:

I'm sure you all have them, or have had them.

Getting ready for my first KCBS contest this weekend as the Head Cook. I have been going crazy with list, more lists, journals, then checking my list of lists.:crazy:

Done KCBS before, but just as a lackey. Nervous, hoping for a walk, but just don't wanna be DAL.:laugh:

We don't get the jitters. So, if you got 'em, you are probably doing something right. Good luck!

Just remember you can only control what you can do. Once that box is turned in, it is out of your hands. Don't stress over the little things, it will kill you. Get a little sleep if your cooker will let you, you will be thankful for it at turn in time. Have fun, meet the people around you. Remember in the end it is just BBQ.

POPITUDE and NEVER GIVE UP ON THE BOX ! 2 Things I learned here. I must be the odd man out on the nervous thing ? only time I get nervous is in the damn search for brisket and awards.

I'm sure you all have them, or have had them.

Getting ready for my first KCBS contest this weekend as the Head Cook. I have been going crazy with list, more lists, journals, then checking my list of lists.:crazy:

Done KCBS before, but just as a lackey. Nervous, hoping for a walk, but just don't wanna be DAL.:laugh:

Shane, I am getting them too. Having trouble sleeping at night ;) Happens every year for me.

Just remember, you have friends around and if there's anything you forgot, or if you're looking for some pointers, don't be afraid to ask. I'll be there cooking with my wife. See you there!

Kev

My favorite things to remeber are:
"ANY Given Sunday - I can beat anyone!"
"Don't make blocking and tackling errors with the cookers"
"Listen to that little voice in your head more"
"Play the hand your dealt - its how you deal with crisis that will matter-don't panic"
"Don't use Truffle Salt - you may think its yummy, but the judges don't"

I tend to look at things as “what is the worst possible scenario” and work from there. The worst scenario is you come in last place. Set a realistic expectation for yourself and try to achieve it. Most of all have fun.

Oh, and have a timeline.

Back