Practice

Pretty much every cook is a practice cook for us. Always trying to tweak something to find the perfect balance......and we dont even compete any more.

Insanity! :crazy:

We're practicing tommorrow on butts and briskets...just don't tell the HNF class folks...lol! :twisted: Let's just say we're expecting the flavor profile to be "Simply Marvelous"...:thumb:

I did a practice brisket last night. This verified that something is wrong with my sensor1/blower1 sensor on my Stoker. In that after 6.5 hours at 250 degrees, the whole brisket (flat and point) were over 200 with very burnt ends, I know the temps had to have a major fluctuation during the night (how about hot and fast but not intended) . Now I need another practice to watch what went wrong.

Yea, you got to fix that before Vista next month, damn!:shock:

We are planning to compete at the Arizona State Championship in Havasu at the end of January. It will be our first comp, would have liked to start out on a smaller platform, but there isn't many comps in Utah during the winter. We've been working hard on our chicken, and dialing in our butt and rib flavor profile. Brisket is next. Can't wait!

Go get them, bro! I hope the class turns out good.:clap2:
We had a great class...the butt and brisket turned out perfect despite opening the smoker every hour then every half hour to allow the class to poke the meat. I wanted them to get the "feel" for how the meat was cooking at different stages and finally what it "felt" like when done. I think they left with a good understanding that you do not need to be wired to the gills or to rely too heavily on cooking by temp...rather cooking by "feel". :thumb: The class was all about "texture" and cooking the meat properly every time...that is one thing they can control! :becky:

The Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub worked great for high heat...the initial rub (1 hour before) followed by an additional rub (15 minutes prior to tossing it on the bullet produced an awesome sweat (almost a cold glaze). It formed a bark very quickly allowing the meat to cook quicker from the inside and made for a very juicy/tender product...without injecting! :thumb:

Now...let's get that Simply Marvelous Brisket Rub up here brother so I can test drive it! :cool:

I just threw on a 19lb CAB brisket with a new brisket rub... my birsket was pretty good last year but i felt i left a few points on the table as far as taste go...

My chicken is a major malfunction... I'll be spending a lot of time on it this winter...

Other than that, every cook is a learning experience...

Chicken........

October 15, chicken is 44th out of 47 in Chembersburg PA (but 47 was a DQ). On October 22, it's 10th out of 89 at the Jack. Just when I'm ready to blow it up, things go well. And don't even get me started about our 3rd place chicken in Lexington NC I bought at the local market because the product we brought was spoiled. After mid-pack chicken finishes at the next two comps, I was beginning to think "road trip Lexington" and then boom 2nd place in Frederick MD.

Yes, chicken is Satan's white meat.

Back