Practice cook today

beerguy said:
Thanks everyone, I forgot this was only pictures. Kevin, the scoring makes sense. I feel better now. As I attend more and more events, I think I will pursue this, cause I think being on both sides of the box, the presenter and the judge, and appreciating everyones hard work will make for an excellent judging criteria.
I wouldn't compete at all if I were you until I took a judging class and judged a few contests. I do this as a hobby and to enjoy a couple days with my brother and his wife. The day I get upset over the presentation marks I get from the judges is the day I quit going to contests. For me and my brother, we do the absolute best we can and hope for the best. We have some beers, invite some friends to our site, shoot the breeze and try to have as much fun as we can. If we do well it is a bonus. As I stated, most of the teams that win usually take out that small pair of sissors and pay attention to those small details in presentation as well as their cooking. I also mentioned that my team is not at that level and we suck at presentation but we are learning. If you are going to get aggrevated at not winning and blame it on some non existant coporate management structure in competition BBQ maybe this is not the sport for you.

nmayeux said:
Mista,
The boxes look great, and you have recieved some sage advice. The only thing that I can add, is I noticed that Tim and Dave used toothpicks to keep the skin on the chicken in place. They removed the picks just before turn in, and at least I was very impressed with the results. Good luck, and I hope you win big!

We don't do that anymore--but a lot of teams do.
Whatever helps with the way you cook :lol:

TIM

I try to pick the pieces with the best looking skin, but I still have to use the picks sometimes as a crutch. I hope to see you guys in comp so as to learn some new tricks. ;) I also use Jimmy's method of dunking to get that nice even coat. Anyway, I look forward to getting my @$$ handed to me a couple of times this year.

Bigmista said:
Toothpicks. I never would have thought of that. I will definitely pass it on.
But leave enough toothpick out so you can find it to pull it out.....you don't want a judge biting into one....I thought I told you this in my PM to you.....musta been someone else....sorry.......

I just posted pics of the whole cook on my blog. Check it out when you get a chance!

That was a new one on me too. But he wanted to carmelize the sugar on the ribs before he added another layer of sauce. It was a nice balance to the ancho chiles in the rub.

Sawdustguy said:
Did the KCBS change the rules to wood, charcoal or blowtorches?:wink: :biggrin:

I don't know if it is legal or not. Anyone want to jump in with a clarification?

Bigmista said:
That was a new one on me too. But he wanted to carmelize the sugar on the ribs before he added another layer of sauce. It was a nice balance to the ancho chiles in the rub.

I do not go offsite to follow these things--just me.
But, using a gas fired blowtorch is a technique that really needs to be thought through.
Asking for trouble IMHO.
FWIW

TIM

Where are you competing ? Are you sure stuffing is allowed ? Most KCBS comps stuffing is not allowed and that includes the sausage category.

Chicken
I don't like the postage stamp skin.

Ribs
Need sauce in my opinion. Blowtorches are not allowed. If someone sees you using one, your gonna get dq'd.

Pork
Needs Sauce

Brisket
I suggest you seperate the point and the flat . Put slices of flat in the box and if you want to put point in, chop it up like burnt ends.

Steve

YankeeBBQ said:
Where are you competing ? Are you sure stuffing is allowed ? Most KCBS comps stuffing is not allowed and that includes the sausage category.

Chicken
I don't like the postage stamp skin.

Ribs
Need sauce in my opinion. Blowtorches are not allowed. If someone sees you using one, your gonna get dq'd.

Pork
Needs Sauce

Brisket
I suggest you seperate the point and the flat . Put slices of flat in the box and if you want to put point in, chop it up like burnt ends.

Steve

The sausage are for a "Southwest Anything butt" category.

I think I will separate the point and flat on the brisket but am I the only one who's flats are only 1/2" to 1" thick?

I'm so glad my husband has all of you for advice and feedback because all I can do most days is smack my lips and rub my belly.

Bigmista said:
The sausage are for a "Southwest Anything butt" category.

I think I will separate the point and flat on the brisket but am I the only one who's flats are only 1/2" to 1" thick?

You should ask the meat cutter to let you look through whatever cases they have in the back and pick your slab. There's usually ony 1 or 2 per case that I'm interested in.

Back