THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jjrkegler

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been interested in a Blackstone griddle for a few years, but I'm wondering if it is practical. As in is a pizza oven practical. I love the idea, but I'm not sure how much it would actually get used. I am in Wisconsin where five months the temperature is typically below 50 degrees. I use my smokers and grill , but I have the ability to cover them while cooking. I would love to hear from people up north as to whether they are happy they have one or not. But the Blackstone costs much less than my smoker so maybe I don't need to use it all 12 months.

I live just north of Buffalo and have had a Blackstone for 3-4 years, and use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Lincoln Nebraska and use my black stone at least weekly. My wife does not like the smell of fried food in the house. So I think the black stone is great.

Hi,

I live about 70 miles south of you, I cooked during the polar vortex when the actual temp outdoors were -35. I cooked burgers, just throw a dome over the food. I cook on mine twice a week regardless of the weather.

Thanks
Greg

I bought mine last summer. I have both the metal and the soft cover for it, use them both. My grills are shoveled out almost before I snow blow the driveway. No problems at all with the Blackstone in New England winters. It's used on average 3 or 4 times per week. I honestly don't know why I waited so long to get one.

Think of it either as a very large cast iron skillet or wok.

As far as using it in cold weather it's not much different than using any other grill in cold weather. Account for the colder temperatures and wind and you're good to go. Wind guards might be needed, but I've done fine without them.

Go for it.

I just made up a table for a new griddle. Not a Blackstone, but a very cheap version of one. Absolutely love it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280601

If you need to cover anything, just use a high domed wok lid like this:
20200418-094549.jpg

Cheers!

Bill

For what its worth, I get maybe 8 months a year of decent weather. I use my Blackstone maybe less then 10 times a year. Ive had it for a few years, and the regulator apparently went bad. so 25 uses (roughly).

Minnesota here as well. I roll mine out of the garage and use the house as a wind barrier in winter months. No issues whatsoever.

I have a Blackstone pizza oven, a 36" and a 22" griddle and the kabob grill and live in Minnesota and use all year.

I have the Camp Chef griddle and use it 3 or 4 times a week for 6 mo. It’s damn cold where I live. One of the coldest spots in the country. High peaks area in the Adirondacks.

Hi,

I live about 70 miles south of you, I cooked during the polar vortex when the actual temp outdoors were -35. I cooked burgers, just throw a dome over the food. I cook on mine twice a week regardless of the weather.

Thanks
Greg

I live west of Greg :-D and use my Camp Chef all year long. I have it inside our screened in porch so I am out of the weather.

I've had my eye on the one with the air fryer. I just can't justify it until I have more space. We have a flat top at the shop and it is sweet to cook on. I've made a pile of Rum Chata French Toast on it.

I haven't used mine in a few years because of the mess from the grease. Thinking of cleaning it up, since I miss Oklahoma onion burgers.

Back