THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks everyone for the info. Im amazed by the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Does the fact that I have an electric stove make a difference? Unfortunately we don't have a gas line in my house so I'm stuck with electric for now. Also it doesn't sound like getting a copper core is worth the money compared to a good aluminum core pan.

got a set of 'Waterless' cookware from my grandmother for a wedding gift 12 years ago.

Amazon.com: Maxam 5-Ply Stainless Steel Waterless Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining

still works and looks great although the handles are starting to show a little wear.

Also use a good bit of 'found' cast iron stuff that my dad 'picked' before picking was cool. :-D

I have seen a demonstration at a home show for waterless cookware but it cost close to $1,000. Can you tell me the benefits of using waterless cookware over the tri-ply stainless steel sets?

I love my cast iron. I have a 12, 10 and 8in that I use for just about anything. I also have a 12in All-clad skillet, very pricey, but worth it. Lastly is my enameled Dutch oven, I think it's a 6qt model from Lodge, this is another great pan. It does jus about everything. From boiling water for pasta to making soup to roasting pot roast. Heck I even foiled the outside filled it with baked beans and tossed it in the smoker. I also do that with my cast iron skillets.

You really can't go wrong with cast iron and of you look around you can get them cheap. Got my 8in at a garage sale for $5.oo and it's well seasoned.

Cast iron & LaCrueset enameled, copper iron handled, and primo are lustreware from Japan.
I like a good mix to cover the bases, don't own a non stick, over that decade ago.

I have seen a demonstration at a home show for waterless cookware but it cost close to $1,000. Can you tell me the benefits of using waterless cookware over the tri-ply stainless steel sets?

I couldn't give you any specific differences, honestly it's the only stuff I've ever cooked on. I like the 'whistle' that tells me when stuff is boiling, but that's a little thing. :-D

But, it's heavy duty, high quality. My parents still use their's, going on at least 20, if not 30 years.

My only complaints are minor ones. The handles get slightly loose. Nothing a quick turn of the screwdriver won't fix, but still.

Also, the top handle/steam vent on the lid shared between the big boiler and the frying pan has part of the plastic/resin handle that goes on the under side of the lid. This is the design for all of them. While it handles boiling temperatures fine, spattering grease will melt/pit it. Found out the hard way using the frying pan for sausage and top to stop the grease spatter.

I get the feeling it's kinda like Cutco knives. Good stuff at the discounted prices but DON"T pay the 'suggested retail' price that they use to show you what a good deal it is.

It's $299 at the Amazon link I provided for 3 sauce pans, a frying pan, boiler and roaster (and some 'egg cups' I use for ranch cups for wings). Seems like a good deal to me.

Back