THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have accumulated Calphalon over the years. Probably have had most pieces for 20 years now and they are going strong.

My girlfriend bought a rather nice set of Quisinart pots and pans from Bed Bath & Beyond last year that are in the same design style as the all-clad stuff. They work really well and have the triple core base. She got a 13 piece set (or somewhere thereabouts) for about $169 and I cook with that stuff occasionally with great success. I'm a fan of cast iron and use it whenever possible. I don't find the maintenance to be any more difficult than anything else. I think you should give it a try at a minimum. Buy yourself one cast iron pan and use it for a while and see what you think :)

I have everything from a cheap Taiphoon carbon steel wok to All-Clad, I regularly use cast iron as well. I have a mixture of stuff, some Revereware that is over 50 years old as well. I use what is right for me, and I have used all manner of pots and pans over the years.

Most of the stuff at RD is destined for commercial kitchen use, thins such as sautes, satueses and frypans are not intended to last very long, so you use the cheaper heavy aluminum ones, they get dented and they go away.

I do like the Calphalon, Kitchenaid and Tramontina stuff, the Costco stuff was great as well. I really like the way All-clad cooks, but, Ron is right, the handles for the pans are terrible and hard to handle a loaded pan. My all time favorite was the Pro-Magnalite, but, they are no longer made.

Been using Calphalon Tri-ply for the last 5 years. One plus on them is that most of the pieces can go under a broiler or in a really hot oven so searing on the stove top and then finishing in the oven is a breeze. The lids have a fairly high heat tolerance as well. The manufacturer recommends handwashing, but since my kids were born that just wasn't going to happen any more... they look fine and come out very clean. If they ever look a little "off" or get something burnt on, "Barkeeper's Friend" or "Bon Ami" are wonderful and restore them to like-new condition.

My girlfriend bought a rather nice set of Quisinart pots and pans from Bed Bath & Beyond last year that are in the same design style as the all-clad stuff.

The Cuisenart stuff is the same as the All Clad stuff. I have one piece of it, and there is no difference. Calphalon Tri-Ply is also good stuff.

The only Stainless stuff I do not like is the stuff where they attach a plate to the bottom of the pots and pans, like the stuff All Clad makes for Emeril. I just know funky stuff is going to happen in that gap between the pot and the plate.

Knowing how much we love our pr0n on this forum, why not some pots and pans pr0n. I'll show you mine, you show me yours. :shocked::becky:

picture.php

The AceMart commercial skillets are on the left, then some cast iron skillets, and then the tri-ply stuff.

That's a homemade pot rack. Cost me about twenty bucks.

CD

Last edited:
We have and use All Clad tri-ply and Circulon by Calphalon. I also have a huge Le Crueset Dutch Oven and a cast iron griddle/grill pan and 12" cast iron pan.

I really want more cast iron since my son and I are going to start camping. I would like to have a nice cast lodge dutch oven, and a couple more of the smaller cast pans.

We also have loads of commercial cookie sheets and a full set of Princess House crystal bakeware. (that stuff is amazingly easy to clean)

i don't think cuisinart and all-clad pans are the same...never compared so can't be sure, but i rarareally don't think so.

all-clad and le creuset for readily available products.

I have accumulated Calphalon over the years. Probably have had most pieces for 20 years now and they are going strong.

19+ years on the same caphalon set. Everyday use and abuse and solid as the day we got them.

There are times I wished I had some enamel Dutch ovens, but the Caphalon always get the job done.

Even the small fry pans slide perfectly cooked omelets on plates Sunday mornings for the wife and kids.

Tri-ply or Hard anodized cookware is good, La Tramontina tri-ply at Walmart is just as good as the All Clad, the aluminum in the Tramontina runs all up the sides which is very good, most triply just have the aluminum cover the bottom of the cookware.

We have a mixture, but we have a big skillet, a small skillet, and a stockpot in Revereware. 20+ years now and no issues with heavy use.

Back where I come from, lots of folks use Magnalite pots. We have a few and really like em.

Buy the set and save a ton as compared to buying individually.

0007095040336_100X100.jpg

Le-Creusset Dutch Oven, a couple of cheap Ikea CI Skillets, 2 Scanpan Copper Fusion Frypans and a Scanpan Copper Stockpot.

The only thing I recommend never to use is "non-stick" cookware. Although some people swear by it, I feel it reduces your "feel" of what the food in the pan is doing.

Cheers!

Bill

I use this series from IKEA. These are some of the heaviest pots I have seen that are stainless. Some of their lines are cheaply made, but this one is awesome for the price. I have not owned an aluminum pot ever, and see no need to.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10087700/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60083554/

Recently I picked up a cast iron enameled dutch oven from a Texas grocer chain, HEB.
This is becoming my new favorite. LODGE also sells enameled cast iron Dutch oven which rated by Consumer Reports
just as good for the Le-Creusset

5 years ago we got the Kirkland(Costco) pots and pans when we got married, at the time the were rated best by consumer reports. Got say I have had no problem with them and they cook and clean very easily. They are stainless steel and have a copper core on the bottom.(you can see the ring). They are not going to break the bank and they last a while, my sister has the same set from 11 years ago still in great shape.
Good luck with your search.

I saw some of these in Costco the other day and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the way they felt. They seemed solid. Just as heavy as my All Clad's.

The only thing I recommend never to use is "non-stick" cookware. Although some people swear by it, I feel it reduces your "feel" of what the food in the pan is doing.

Cheers!

Bill

Interesting. I haven't noticed that. The only pans I have that are non-stick are my aluminum skillets from AceMart. I love them. I toss and flip food in them and the feel is excellent.

CD

Looking to see what most of the brethren use for their everday cooking when it comes to pots and pans?
Thanks
Patrick
Check cooks illustrated for a list of their recommended stuff. The are pretty spot on with their mix and match selections.

A good cast iron must be in the mix, and if you have the coin, I can't recommend a LaCrueset dutch oven. I use mine for EVERYTHING. And it's drop dead sexy.

I've been picking up some AllClad pieces on ebay over the last 12 months or so. Some new, some used. Been getting them at some pretty decent prices. That being said, probably hard to beat the Tramontina clad stuff. A decent tramontina enameled cast iron dutch oven can be had at Sam's pretty reasonable. Pick up a decent non stick on ebay and a few cast iron skillets and you should be in biz. The Scan pan stuff is interesting. I also stole a nice 2 qt saucepan off ebay. I really like it.

I went through this same problem about a year ago. After much research I got the Tramontina tri-ply set at walmart and could not be happier.

Back