Post block party meeting

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Our group does a meeting around this time from our August block party to review and see what we want to do new, different etc...

I brought up to mix up the menu and add a theme for 2017. I was thinking a taco bar would be a nice change. It was adopted so next round will be pulled pork and pulled chicken taco bar. We even added salsa dancing after, sombreros...complete Hispanic theme.

After party will be you guessed it... Margaritas! Yay because I love me some tequilla. :biggrin1:

Kind of happy largely because I won't have to get up early and make as many back n forth trips back to my house. The pork and part of the chicken pull I will do the Friday prior to which will make it soooo much easier. I'll still set up to cook some the day of because everyone likes the smoke, plus I have to grill up some spiral dogs for the kids. The only thing I'll do at our staging area will be the chicken.

Anyways I thought this would give you all who do block parties some Ideas. The pulled chicken I suppose I'll make from a mix of breast and thighs. Both the chicken and pork I'll mix in some home made taco spices.

So what do y'all think?

Oh, I'm having a small Fall block party (adults only) soon doing a Fall theme with chili, burgers, Mex dip etc... My bartender neighbor will help do up some apple pie shots :thumb: Nothing like some good food and booze, and set up a fire pit out by the street (but not on it)

Heck yes! Just let me know when it is. I can cook something to pitch in. No tequila for me, fiesta party, burger party, or otherwise. I'll bring my captain Morgan, and summon uber when the time arises.
The tequilla is for the Summer block party, this one we'll have some Apple Pie shots among other drinks, it's a great Fall treat!

I'll give you a shout when I nail down the date...gotta figure out how to get it applied for on the City's website.

Gotta love Uber!

For those that have done large batches of pulled chicken what's your favorite parts to use?

Well I just looked up some older posts and it looks like boneless skinless thighs give you good yield and of course easy to pull.

Anyone tell me how many servings per lb of chicken pull you get when you have lots of other sides? I'm thinking about 3?

Our group does a meeting around this time from our August block party to review and see what we want to do new, different etc...

I brought up to mix up the menu and add a theme for 2017. I was thinking a taco bar would be a nice change. It was adopted so next round will be pulled pork and pulled chicken taco bar. We even added salsa dancing after, sombreros...complete Hispanic theme.

After party will be you guessed it... Margaritas! Yay because I love me some tequilla. :biggrin1:

Kind of happy largely because I won't have to get up early and make as many back n forth trips back to my house. The pork and part of the chicken pull I will do the Friday prior to which will make it soooo much easier. I'll still set up to cook some the day of because everyone likes the smoke, plus I have to grill up some spiral dogs for the kids. The only thing I'll do at our staging area will be the chicken.

Anyways I thought this would give you all who do block parties some Ideas. The pulled chicken I suppose I'll make from a mix of breast and thighs. Both the chicken and pork I'll mix in some home made taco spices.

So what do y'all think?

Oh, I'm having a small Fall block party (adults only) soon doing a Fall theme with chili, burgers, Mex dip etc... My bartender neighbor will help do up some apple pie shots :thumb: Nothing like some good food and booze, and set up a fire pit out by the street (but not on it)

Luckily you don't live in CA, you'd be labeled as a racist organization. :loco:

I have found that for pulled chicken using boneless skinless thighs is the easiest way to do things. no fussing with skin or bones while pulling, and they can stand to be cooked over 165 degrees, so window for doneness is much bigger than chicken breasts.

I haven't done it, but Jamaicamon (Matt) said some of the best pulled chicken he has ever had was done by pitmaster Chris Prieto. The technique is rub the chicken and then put it breast side down in a pan. Use the squeeze "butter" over the chicken and into the pan and cook till done. Then pull the chicken off the bones and use the carcass and skin as a mop over the chicken, dipping it in the juices and "butter" that are in the pan.

Also we did a taco dinner for my Fiance's best friend's 50th bday. We did Mojo beef and chicken rubbed seasoned with oregano, cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper.

The sides we made were
Roasted Salsa Verde
Roasted corn and black bean salsa
Pico de Gallio
Mexican style coleslaw (cabbage, cilantro, finely diced jalapeno, carrots, with a honey lime vinegarette dressing)
Guacamole
Diced White Onions
Shredded cabbage
Cilantro
Sliced Radish
Queso Fresco
Crema
Margaritas!

The topping bar/sides were a bigger hit than the proteins!

That sounds great. You have given me a few idea's for a get together this weekend to honor my SIL for an educational certificate she is receiving. Doing a taco salad bar with pulled beef and pulled chicken. Some of the sides that were mentioned sound good also. Great idea's there.

Also we did a taco dinner for my Fiance's best friend's 50th bday. We did Mojo beef and chicken rubbed seasoned with oregano, cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper.

The sides we made were
Roasted Salsa Verde
Roasted corn and black bean salsa
Pico de Gallio
Mexican style coleslaw (cabbage, cilantro, finely diced jalapeno, carrots, with a honey lime vinegarette dressing)
Guacamole
Diced White Onions
Shredded cabbage
Cilantro
Sliced Radish
Queso Fresco
Crema
Margaritas!

The topping bar/sides were a bigger hit than the proteins!
That all sounds great! We'll definitely incorporate some of those sides. Thanks Ren.

I'm definitely leaning towards the skinless boneless thighs for the bulk of the chicken but decided to throw in a few whole birds into it also I think....Maybe 80/20 mix.

That sounds great. You have given me a few idea's for a get together this weekend to honor my SIL for an educational certificate she is receiving. Doing a taco salad bar with pulled beef and pulled chicken. Some of the sides that were mentioned sound good also. Great idea's there.

This place is full of great ideas for sure!

I think for both the pork and chicken I'll just mix up some simple chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, S&P and mix it in to the pulls.

P.S. I used Rick Bayless's recipes as a guide for making the Salsa Verde and Roasted Corn and black bean salsa.

Pico de gallio, I do 2 large tomatoes, 1 medium onion, half a bunch of cilantro, and 1-2 jalapenos depending how hot they are, and 1-2 limes

My Guacamole is 2 avacados, and several big scoops of my Pico de gallio, and juice from 1-2 limes.

It was a lot of prep work but you can time it pretty easily. I roasted all the ingredients at the same time on my drum. Corn, Jalapenos, Tomatillos, Tomatos, onions. Made it really easy, would roast really well on the 007 cooker.

The salsa verde was really easy. I pureed the roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, and cilantro. Then dumped it in a bowl. Then pulsed the roasted white onions and added that into the puree.

The other dishes were lots of knife work with dicing all the tomatos and onions. But once the knifework was done, putting the sides together was a breeze. The nice thing is you can make almost all the sides several days in advance.

Whats the matter, you Indiana folks getting uppity or somethin'?
I was just assuming for emergency vehicles a pit in the middle of the street might be frowned upon. It might be fine IDK

I was just thinking of putting one at the end of the driveway at the street... plus when it comes down to "officially" shutting down we can stay rolling but not have chairs in the middle of the street.

P.S. I used Rick Bayless's recipes as a guide for making the Salsa Verde and Roasted Corn and black bean salsa.

Pico de gallio, I do 2 large tomatoes, 1 medium onion, half a bunch of cilantro, and 1-2 jalapenos depending how hot they are, and 1-2 limes

My Guacamole is 2 avacados, and several big scoops of my Pico de gallio, and juice from 1-2 limes.

It was a lot of prep work but you can time it pretty easily. I roasted all the ingredients at the same time on my drum. Corn, Jalapenos, Tomatillos, Tomatos, onions. Made it really easy, would roast really well on the 007 cooker.

The salsa verde was really easy. I pureed the roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, and cilantro. Then dumped it in a bowl. Then pulsed the roasted white onions and added that into the puree.

The other dishes were lots of knife work with dicing all the tomatos and onions. But once the knifework was done, putting the sides together was a breeze. The nice thing is you can make almost all the sides several days in advance.
Oh yea that stuff would roast real well on the 007 Ren.

I'm doing my guac similar but not roasting the veggies....might have to change that!

Back