Pork Turn In Box - I'm open to feedback *PRON

Both plate look good. The OP looks like some something I would wanna put on a sandwich and get my fat kid on with, the other looks like something to be eaten as finger food. Each judged on their own merit of taste and tenderness. Shame on those who would even consider judging down due to garnish not being perfect. It's there for contrast and nothing else. BUT...... As long as kcbs allows people to put salad in meat competitions, they are gonna get judged on it. This is a prime example of why garnish should not be allowed. Let the meat do the talkin to my taste buds and that's it! Building perfect putting green boxes for hrs is stupid! That's time taken away from cooking great BBQ!

Thanks for all the input guys. It's hard to read the negative comments sometimes, but I know its all in helping people get better at what they like to do. I really thought the garnish looked better in person, but I also know that in the heat of the moment with a few beers in you, the picture is the honest rendition of what you really turned in. I can see all the flaws you guys point out.

With regard to the smoke ring... I'm not sure what happened there. I smoked it on a UDS with pecan mixed into the coal basket at differing depths and plenty on the top of the basket to hit the meat early with smoke. I couldn't believe that it didn't have any pink in it. Is it possible I could cook out the color by getting too hot? I've never heard of that, but this is probably the hottest I've ever cooked a butt.

First box needs some work. Looks a little dry and where is the MM. Need some different shapes or patterns. Congrats on your first comp. Grants box is a better example. See how the meats glistens and has different patterns.

... Shame on those who would even consider judging down due to garnish not being perfect. It's there for contrast and nothing else. ...

I for one wasnt scoring based on the garnish, but you're right, especially when it actually gets in the way of the meat, there's almost no way to not factor it in... I merely was recommending that if he cleans it up a little, sets the meat on top vs. "in" it that it'll frame the meat better and give a cleaner presentation.

The only problem I'm having is a lack of balance, visually. But this is BBQ, not an art critique.:grin: Does the presentation make me hungry for some? HELL yeah. That's the point of appearance, yes?

That's the point of appearance, yes?

Yes. It's not nor never has been about making a sculpture. It's BBQ, to be judged on whether it makes you want to dive in and hit it. If it's saying (to you) "you must eat me right now", then that's a 9 (in KCBS land). That's all there is to it.

For the original box posted. I like the idea where you were headed with the box. For competition purposes, more sauce, smooth out the chucks a little so there are no strands laying around. Wrap your meat earlier to lighten up the bark. Once you set the pork in the box, push down the parsley so it is even around the pork. oh did I mention more sauce!

Back