THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
A continuation from Saturdays cook; The 4th picnic...
( http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265418 )

4th Pork Shoulder Picnic Cook

Well it's Tuesday and the remaining pork shoulder that I rubbed with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, mexican oregano, maldon salt flakes, adobo seasoning, and some black pepper has sat it the refrigerator for three days. The extended time has allowed the flavors to get deep within the meat.

enhance

Decided to use the Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Cooker for this large piece of meat. Put the shoulder picnic in the cooking basket.

enhance

Decided to grill some asparagus.

enhance

Trimmed the stems and coated with EVOO, garlic, and Pennsylvania Pepper.

enhance

And roast some red skin garlic potatoes on the grill.

enhance

Cut up the potatoes and coated with EVOO, garlic, Pennsylvania Pepper, and Oakridge Santa Maria Grill Seasonings.

enhance

Last edited:
Wow! That looks fantastic!

I can almost taste a piece of that skin/cracklin in my mouth from the photos...

Looks great! I would have thought the BGE was too hot for the picnic

The Big Easy, not a BGE.

The Char-Broil Big Easy is an infrared cooker of very simple and basic design; it's just a ribbon burner at the bottom of a stainless steel cylinder. The ribbon burner heats the cylinder that radiates the energy (infrared) to the outer surfaces of the meat.

Char-Broil markets it as an "Oil-Less Turkey Fryer" but it is simply an infrared roaster. I think they market it like that as a way to safely cook a turkey without gallons of hot cooking oil waiting for disaster to the novice.

I've cooked a 22+ pound turkey in about 3 hours, but it's far from fried. My Thanksgiving guests actually prefer this type of bird over smoked, deep fried, or traditional oven roasted birds. It's always moist, and it is always the first turkey carcass picked clean to the bones.

For turkey, It also lends itself well to brined birds, I prefer Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine. Always moist throughout the entire bird with great flavor.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I might also point out that it also frees up the oven so you can cook a multitude of other side dishes while the turkey roasts safely outside in The Big Easy.

Brother Toast has a thread on "How to make a turkey on the Big Easy" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

But it's use is not limited to just turkeys, it works well on chickens, as well as large cuts of beef, and pork. They even have a chicken leg /wing rack accessory for The Big Easy.

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-fryer can be found on sale for $79.00

Last edited:
Great post!! Pics looks amazing and always informative. That pork looks phenomenal!! Makes me want to buy one of those.

If that picnic tastes half as good as it looks it will be awesome.

I do Butts fairly often on my Large BGE and they turn out really nice- 225 to 250 I can use it as a vessel to cold smoke, smoke salmon and bacon at 150 and sear steaks when it is blazing hot

BTW Madman that looks outstanding I have only used TBE for poultry- one turned out bad and the turkey was amazing Your wife has some very lucky coworkers

I have a ‘big easy’and it the only way my wife wants a turkey cooked now. I have also done pork butts and shoulders,every thing turns out great and it’s very easy to use!

Back