THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I actually cut back on the salt after reading some posts on here. I started with 1/2 the amt. of salt, tasted it, and it was clear to me that adding more salt was not something I wanted to do - the decision was based on taste.

If I understand correctly, his recipe is a comp recipe and apparently comp recipes tend to exaggerate flavors in order to make an impression on judges with one or 2 bites.

I also found it too salty as stated in the book. I like the taste the injection imparts, though, even if it does take extra time. Be sure you like the taste of whatever you choose to inject with, though, because you WILL taste it! The first time I injected I used vinegar and cayenne pepper as an experiment, thinking it would mostly dissipate. Man, was I ever wrong! :shocked:

I've noticed a big difference in the amount of juices collected when I inject and foil over just foiling... Probably double the juice.

Try this, Inject 1/2 and foil them and just rub/ no foil the other 1/2, you can combine the pulled meat from the 2 types when done to get the best of both, darker color & better bark but also more juice and flavor. Also less work injecting and foiling only 1/2 of them...

I just use apple juice with a small amount of salt added to it for the injection

Injection isn't really helping you if it's in the pan and not in the meat. :)

I inject my butts I go in one hole and inject in different angles it doesn't take me long probably 10 min for 2 butts from Sam's, I think there is a better texture with a injected meat so that's why I do it and it doesn't really take me long. 14 butts will take you sometime to inject, but if you have a fridge/cooler you can use to prep and inject the meat and rest them in it the night before I would do it.

Back