Pork Butt Fat Cap Gash

I wish you guys hadn't brought up the "bacon" because I'm sure that will now be a "thing" with the judges trying to interpret just where the pulled meat in the box came from and should we judge down or up because of that. Because, like it or not, judges like to be on the cutting edge (no pun intended) when it comes to judging what's in the box as evidenced by the current brisket turn in box critique post. Just saying.

Robert

I understand your point, but if a judge is worried about where on a butt the meat came from, instead of judging it as presented, we have bigger problems :-D

The official name for the "bacon" is the trapezius. I discovered how good it was many years ago because I cook butts fat down for all of the cook. The fat would often stick to the grate when removing the butts from the pit, and the little layer of meat would be exposed and was prime for sampling. Always called it the fat layer muscle. Here is another cross section photo.

Ejz1nwE.jpg

And here is the bacon after scraping the layer of fat off.

sOPZFMR.jpg

I’m with TDuff. Way way way overrated. Im not sure why this became so popular to put in the box. In fact, I think it has the potential to harm your pork score much more than help it because it is usually a greasy pile of mush.

could the type of cooker contribute to the result? I could see different results coming from a drum vs say a Jambo because of the heat source and flow.

I’m with TDuff. Way way way overrated. Im not sure why this became so popular to put in the box. In fact, I think it has the potential to harm your pork score much more than help it because it is usually a greasy pile of mush.

I can agree with this as I've definitely had a couple of cooks where it was unusable. Like anything else if it's good it gets used, if it isn't it gets thrown to the side.

that is interesting to me.....cause the funny thing I find is that for me personally, I like the bacon from the butt pretty much as my fave, if it's done right.

I actually prefer it over money muscle most times.

to me the horn meat is overrated yet lots of folks love it..

food is kind of like art, it's very subjective and I guess that is one of the things that makes it so interesting to be involved in.
Personally I find the "bacon" completely boring. Has no bark or seasoning on it or any color.

Last edited:
Just to update everyone...I cooked the butts as they were and didn't worry about the gashes in the fat cap. Used a combination of "bacon" and tube meat for the pulled and walked away with a 1st place in pork...first category win ever! So it definitely appears I was worrying for nothing, but thanks to everyone as always for the advice and different views on things!

Back