Pork Belly to my belly (pr0n heavy)

Looking at those prices I need to head up to Chicago. Just a short hop from Joliet, but I'm now WAY down South. Pork Belly down here is outrageously high in price. I looked at some and my wife just laughed and walked off without a single word spoken I knew what the answer was. :(

Great looking piles of meat! :thumb:

Sorry Shaggy.

Took me so long to get back on here and see a bacon blitz...

A truly amazing effort. As others have said, you just need some bigger gear and I am sure you are working on it.

Looing forward to any new posts!

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Yea, bigger equipment is needed for sure. I have since gotten a fridge for the basement that I can use for bacon, which helps a ton. I really need a good large capacity smoker that can easily be temp controlled, but I'm not getting that till the kitchen is remodeled, so the drum will have to do for now.

Did another batch this last weekend. Third time I've done a batch this size, it keeps getting easier.

Well played sir. :clap2:

My buddies and I did 33 bellies (~400 lbs) a few weeks ago so I know exactly how much work you put into this. It makes for a very long day but is well worth it in the end.

I will have to keep that packing plant in mind - prices were crazy cheap compared what we spent ($3 a pound for a grand total of $1,146).

You can always use mine. We could do it all in one shot!

Thanks, Chris! We'll have to start synchronizing our cures.

Well played sir. :clap2:

My buddies and I did 33 bellies (~400 lbs) a few weeks ago so I know exactly how much work you put into this. It makes for a very long day but is well worth it in the end.

I will have to keep that packing plant in mind - prices were crazy cheap compared what we spent ($3 a pound for a grand total of $1,146).

Totally worth the drive, Westy. For a big order like that, I would call ahead by a few days, tell them how much and exactly what you want. They'll have it ready and waiting.

Looking at my receipt from last time - Skin on were $1.89, and to have them skinned bumped the price up to $2.09. Worth the extra .20 in my book!

Just gorgeous. :clap2:

I started making bacon a couple years ago and, like you, ain't no going back!

Seriously great post in every way sir. :thumb:

Just gorgeous. :clap2:

I started making bacon a couple years ago and, like you, ain't no going back!

Seriously great post in every way sir. :thumb:

Thanks, Greg!

It's funny, I read this again this morning when it got bumped and I'm amazed
At how much I've changed my processes even within a few months time. I wonder how differently I'll make bacon next year...

I was away most of the winter, I come back and search "bacon," and this thread pops up, and I'm immediately reminded of why I love this site so much. Amazing job!

I do have a question or two. I'm sure it's listed somewhere on some thread (in fact, it's the reason I searched "bacon" in the first place), but I just read all 6 pages of this and now I need a nap. How long do you typically have the bellies on the smoker? I see the target temp as 160, but can't find an estimate of how long to plan for it to get there. Also curious as to temps...do you have to cold smoke, or is the standard 225-275 range acceptable? Thanks again for sharing, and thanks to any of y'all who can help me out!

Back