THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myabe just try to not BBQ on rainy or hot sunny days?

Can you have a word with BBQ Contest organizers about this one?:laugh: It would sure be nice to have that option - had a few tents torn up during contests. You sure know that your 80 year old mother loves you when she is holding down the EZ-Up as 50+ mph winds and driving rains are pounding us.:thumb:

There are two ways to go when it comes to canopies - cheap or expensive. The thinking on using the cheap ones is to keep your costs down because they won't last long anyway. The argument for a heavy duty version is the stouter construction will make them last longer.

Regardless of which type you buy, neither will survive a strong thunderstorm. So basically it comes down to betting on the weather. :)

Beg to differ! I have a 10x10 Caravan that survived the contest in Camden, AR when what was left of Hurricane Rita went thru. At one time, I saw the rain coming down in 3 different directions. Buckets of water and my FEC100 held it down. I've replaced the fabric parts but the frame is still great.

We use the 10 x 20 carport with heavy tarp top. It takes two people to set up and about 30 minutes but it is well worth it when those strong Florida thunderstorms move in. You can but the tarp, bands and angles on EBay and then buy pipe from the local hardware store and cut it to the heights that you want.

After going through 4 middle to cheaper grade pop-ups, we really like this set up.

We use the same thing.
CompTent.jpg

I found mine on Craigslist for $80.00. I've got the sidewalls and a different top on my christmas list though. Sides are really nice when it rains and blows a lot.

I have both EZ-Ups and a Caravan. I have to say I like the Caravan much better (10X10) from Costco. It has to do with the locking pins on the legs. The Caravan is much easier to use for one person. Also, check Craigslist. I got 2 nice EZ Ups (the $200 ones from Sams) for $40 a piece. The sidewalls were still in the plastic. I put up two for a 10X20 space in literally less than 10 minutes.

Back