Please School Me On Roast Pork.

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I'd like to smoke a pork roast on a Rotisserie. I've never done one before, so I don't even know what cut to look for, how to prep it, cook temps or anything. One thing I can say is that I love fat in my pork, so hopefully, it's not all loin. Thanks for the help.

If you love fat in your pork roast, then I'm going to say a Boston butt is going to be your best bet. Loin is way too lean, as is the ham. Any butcher, even the big grocery stores, can cut them in half for you if you don't want a whole one, I see halves in the counter all the time.
I have a good recipe for a pork loin, every time I've cooked one this way, it has been moist, so if you want to go that route, let me know.

I just did an all pork belly porchetta. If you like fat in your pork, it's hard to beat.

It is also perfect for a rotisserie since you can roll it into a uniform shape and put it on the rod easily.

Be warned it will render a lot of fat, so you need a big drip pan underneath.

Ok...just bought a small pork loin, about 4 lbs. It's got a fat cap, so that'll be good and I may truss it up a bit to maybe fatten it up. Anyways, I'm planning on inserting some garlic into the meat here and there, with some rosemary. Some SPG for rub to keep it savory. Any other suggestions? Do I need olive oil on it or anything else? Ron, I'll take that recipe now.

Ok...just bought a small pork loin, about 4 lbs. It's got a fat cap, so that'll be good and I may truss it up a bit to maybe fatten it up. Anyways, I'm planning on inserting some garlic into the meat here and there, with some rosemary. Some SPG for rub to keep it savory. Any other suggestions? Do I need olive oil on it or anything else? Ron, I'll take that recipe now.

It sounds like you are on the right track with my method, rub it down with olive oil, or canola, season it with salt, pepper and anything else you like, then coat it with breadcrumbs (I use the Italian for extra flavor, but regular will work just fine) and cook to about 155 internal. I haven't had a dry one yet. The breadcrumbs seem to hold in the moisture.

Pork loin on the rotiss...is the only way I like pork loin. Stays juicy....just dont overcook it. I think I pull at 140ish.

I think I cook it at arounf 350 degrees.

It sounds like you are on the right track with my method, rub it down with olive oil, or canola, season it with salt, pepper and anything else you like, then coat it with breadcrumbs (I use the Italian for extra flavor, but regular will work just fine) and cook to about 155 internal. I haven't had a dry one yet. The breadcrumbs seem to hold in the moisture.

I love pork loin on the spinner. Never tried the bread crumbs...Yet...

I like to chill it and slice it as thin as my P.O.S. slicer will go. Excellent sandwich meat.

Back