PLEASE Help Me Decide on a Backwoods for Comp

We cooked entire contests on a Party for the better part of two seasons (we still use it today but have added another cooker along side it). I would recommend getting the extended as others have suggested.

For what you will be paying for a new party you could find a nice used fatboy. Thats what I ended up.doing and Im very happy.

Thanks everyone! I am going to go with the Party. I just can't swing the Extended version.

Congrats and good luck. The only comment I'd add to everyone else's comments here is I'd heavily consider bringing one of your UDS's with you as well. You may have an easier time with your briskets on it and I bet (in my personal opinion) you get a better smoke ring on it. Plus, I always have at least two fires going at a comp.....just in case. I agree with the others here though -- if you're cooking with only one Backwoods for a KCBS style event you gotta go with the Fatboy. The Competitor would be nice but it's too dang big to cart around if you don't have to.

Oops, I didn't mean to make that sound like the Party was the wrong call. Not my intention -- the Party is a great choice especially if you bring your UDS with you. If only one pit on site, that's when the Fatboy is essential in my opinion.

Don't sweat not having the extended Party for ribs, you can always trim down your slabs. I've never had a problem fitting "2 down's" in the Party anyway.

I was in your position a few months ago and went with the extended BWS. I have the heavier grates, commercial basket, hear diverter, 180º door and extra slldes.
It is a great comp cooker for ribs, brisket and pork. I am currently using a 22.5 WSM for chicken.

Backwoods

We compete with a gator. If you don't have the money for a fat boy or a gator I would go with the extended party which is more than enough to cook a full comp on alone. Big meats go on the night before and the ribs and chicken go on the morning of so there's only a small window of time that all meats are in the smoker at the same time. Plus an extended party will hold a full pan like the gator. Good luck with your decision! No matter the choice backwoods is the way to go!

We use a Party and WSM 22.5

The 22.5 goes 10-14hrs with a brisket and shoulders and still has enough life to crank up to finish chicken.

We are going to modify the charcoal basket to extend the party's cook time.

Very happy with both.

When you call and order your party you should ask about this mysterious G2 model that is supposed to be coming out. I have heard a lot of rumors about it, but what I do believe is that it will be able to fit the hotel pans and be cheaper than a fatboy.

Back