Backwoods Chubby 3400

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello,

I've been looking at the Backwoods Chubby 3400 lately and wondering if it is a step up from the WSM 22 or a lateral move?

I currently use my Kamado Joe the majority of the time but want another smoker for larger capacity when I have get togethers. I'm debating between holding on to the WSM or selling it and replacing with the Chubby 3400. Really hoping for something less cumbersome, easier to clean, more fuel efficient, and good capacity for parties.

Thanks!

More capacity for sure.

You may also want to look at Big Woods Smokers. Almost identical in size and weight as the chubby for $699. and free shipping.

I like the cart that they offer to go with it. I'm wondering if the same company makes it. The charcoal rack looks identical.

Also available on Amazon for the same price with free ship in about 4 days.

https://www.bwcooking.com/products/big-woods-smoker

114 lbs and "squatty"- would pair well with a strong side table to make it back friendly. Racks are only 15 x 16 but you have 4 (spaced 3" apart) give a lot more room than the wsm. SS interior, all in one (no sections to fit together and maybe leak air) What's not to like?

If I needed/wanted the extra grate space, I'd go for it.

More capacity for sure.

You may also want to look at Big Woods Smokers. Almost identical in size and weight as the chubby for $699. and free shipping.

I like the cart that they offer to go with it. I'm wondering if the same company makes it. The charcoal rack looks identical.

Also available on Amazon for the same price with free ship in about 4 days.

https://www.bwcooking.com/products/big-woods-smoker
Does the smoker come with chopsticks? It looks Chinese made all the way. Not much info on their website in regards to where they're made or for that matter what they're made from.

I upgraded from wsm 18” to chubby g3. Similar scenario as you , and oh so worth it for capacity alone. I was looking at big woods as well, but never returned my emails or calls.

And yeah the chubby 3400 and g3, and big woods are made in China. I put an order in for American made G2 and it was a longer lead time than I wanted. Backwoods recommended the g3 and the rest is history. I have a few cooks under it and I’m very impressed compared to my wsm. The wsm is a freaking beast and legend, but the chubby has capacity and easy of access and portability the wsm lacks.

Anyway OP if you have any questions let me know.

I upgraded from wsm 18” to chubby g3. Similar scenario as you , and oh so worth it for capacity alone. I was looking at big woods as well, but never returned my emails or calls.

And yeah the chubby 3400 and g3, and big woods are made in China. I put an order in for American made G2 and it was a longer lead time than I wanted. Backwoods recommended the g3 and the rest is history. I have a few cooks under it and I’m very impressed compared to my wsm. The wsm is a freaking beast and legend, but the chubby has capacity and easy of access and portability the wsm lacks.

Anyway OP if you have any questions let me know.

My biggest concern is if I can fit a packer brisket in the chubby 3400. Wouldn't be an issue with the G3 as the grates are larger but it is outside of my price range. On the other hand, could just stick with chicken and pork with the occasional small/heavily trimmed packer.

Does the smoker come with chopsticks? It looks Chinese made all the way. Not much info on their website in regards to where they're made or for that matter what they're made from.

That would be cool, I'm Chinese and could always use an extra pair :thumb:

My biggest concern is if I can fit a packer brisket in the chubby 3400. Wouldn't be an issue with the G3 as the grates are larger but it is outside of my price range. On the other hand, could just stick with chicken and pork with the occasional small/heavily trimmed packer.

I had the exact same concern. I didn't want to be left with the same or less grate surface area as my WSM which is why I looked at the G2/G3 models. I think I read somewhere during my research that you could do a heavy trim or split the point and flat to make it fit; either of those weren't exactly ideal to me though.

I think you'll be happy either way, and wish you the best of luck

... I think I read somewhere during my research that you could do a heavy trim or split the point and flat to make it fit; either of those weren't exactly ideal to me though.

I have a first gen chubby and it is my favorite for back yard use. If the G2/3 fit hotel pan then no problem - cook your brisket whole.

However, I think separating the point from flat is a great idea because you can trim both muscles to a more even thickness & even cooking because they are very different muscles.

Back