Please critique Brisket turn in box.

Are you KIDDING ME on the brisket being too pale and smoke ring not pronounced enough????

Nope, not kidding. :rolleyes:

That's my personal preference-- and IF I was nitpicking. That was the point of the this thread, and my post. If one had to find something to criticize, those were my peeves du pet. I never said the box was less than perfect.

Tomato, to-mah-to. Some like less smoke flavor, some like more. I prefer a little more depth of color....big whoop. The smoke ring isn't judged, anyway....right? :cool:

brisketslices.jpg

There is no score for presentation, it's appearance. There is a difference.

This is a critical distinction and not enough judges know it and/or remember it. Good reminder for me!!

To me, this was an excellent box, all 9's. I will use it as my standard at future competitions.

You said " I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9."

At the risk of hijacking this thread even more...How do we get this accross to the judges? To beat that horse one more time, KCBS are you listening?

I am a CBJ with about 10 contest under my belt and I have been guilty of it. We need to teach each other, I guess no one else is,that is one reason I very much like this forum!

Since I keep getting quoted, please use the entire sentence.

Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9.

I don't think it's possible "to objectively and subjectively evaluate" from a picture on a computer screen.

To shadetreebbq, you're more than welcome to buy me some new glasses!

I'd give that box a solid 9 on appearence. I don't totally agree with saucing the burnt ends, however I've had great tasting burnt ends both sauced and unsauced, Personnelly for me, I don't sauce them, just reseason then back on the smoker, but never taken aware from folks that do sauce them. Unless its a totally nasty sauce,,but haven't experienced that yet.

That looks over smoked to me. I have heartburn just looking at it. If I ate that I'd be burping smoke for a week

While I didn't ask for feedback, you are a lightweight. :roll:

It didn't have that much smoke flavor....it was mostly cooked over charcoal with a few chunks of hickory. We cooked that at the Paul Kirk class. Proves that looks can be deceiving, I guess. That's why all we can judge when someone posts a box is appearance, right? :wink:

First of all I would like permission to print a copy of your box. Like a want-a-be artists, I've always had the picture in my head but could never re-create it.

OK, Here it goes....

I while I would give it a 9 at a comp giving the fact that you only get to see it for what, 4 maybe 5 seconds and then it's on to the next box.

After looking at it for close to a minute here is what I find. Please keep in mind that this is all very, VERY nit-picky:
  • I would like the bark on all of the burnt ends to be the same. At first glance, I thought that there were only 5 of them because the one on the far right almost matches the slices behind.
  • I would like to see you even out the parsley between the two sides. The right side seems a bit thin.
  • Back to the burnt ends, I would turn the third burnt end from the left 90*. You have 5 going up and down and one going left and right.
  • I would like to see more contrast between the smoke ring and the center of the meat. I fear that when you brushed the slices the contrast got a little bit 'muted'.
Now would any of the above cause me to knock down a score of 9? Not from me, but you never know about the other 5 judges around the table.

As I said in my first post, I knew I was going to get smacked for answering, but I was trying to be thoughtful, as I always do when I judge. Reading what I do here, I'm about ready to quit.
I guess what I would have liked to have heard was what you had an issue with... I know it's hard some times to put your finger on it, but that's the only way that I (we) can learn. Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive.

Diva-Q, I just emailed a picture of your brisket to my team telling them this is our new target. Looks great. My trailer could start looking a Pizza Hut kitchen with pictures on the wall of what the pizza (brisket) SHOULD look like!:-D

And that slice looks like hers how?

Well, let me clarify. It looks a lot like hers to me in texture and color. If it doesn't to you, that's OK with me.

As always, the type of lighting and how a piece of meat is photographed make comparisons like this difficult.

Last edited:
You know what? They both look like damn good briskets. Looks like texas is getting mad that canada can put together a great brisket. I think canada is actually known internationally for brisket:)!

Back