Please critique Brisket turn in box.

If it tasted like it looks, I'm thinking 180:icon_smil

I get myself in trouble here by answering these kinds of questions, but here I go....

It may just be from looking at a single picture on a computer, but something about it doesn't say 9 to me. More crust on top maybe? Something about the connective tissues? The shininess looks nice, but an experienced judge knows that shiny can/is added at the end and may not help taste. The smoke ring looks lovely, but we are instructed every time not to pay attention to smoke rings. Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9. It isn't the garnish, as Rhapsody says, I really don't look at that. The layout is fine.

6 definitely seems low here, but it would be way helpful to judges if KCBS would define average-is it average restaurant? Is it average backyard? Okay, so it's average competition Q, what the @#% is that?

Put the meat all the way up to the front of the box. The greenery in the very front is a distraction. Other than that, looks sweet.

Brett

Little hard to see if there are any imperfections with that tiny of a photo but from what I can see, that's what I look for when I'm giving a 9 in appearance! Good job. Oh and keep that junk out of KC and north of the border. I don't wanna compete against anyone doin that!

Was doing a practice last night and would like your comments and opinions.

Thank you.

PRACTICE?? VERY FUNNY. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Looks like you dont need any practice.

9 for appearance...

1 for texture though.. because when I bit the monitor, i bumped my nose and got a splinter in my lip.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8 maybe. 7 ? What ? Oh I know what's bothering you there's not enough burnt ends to take home in your to go box. Your a very experienced judge aren't you ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I get myself in trouble here by answering these kinds of questions, but here I go....

It may just be from looking at a single picture on a computer, but something about it doesn't say 9 to me. More crust on top maybe? Something about the connective tissues? The shininess looks nice, but an experienced judge knows that shiny can/is added at the end and may not help taste. The smoke ring looks lovely, but we are instructed every time not to pay attention to smoke rings. Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9. It isn't the garnish, as Rhapsody says, I really don't look at that. The layout is fine.

6 definitely seems low here, but it would be way helpful to judges if KCBS would define average-is it average restaurant? Is it average backyard? Okay, so it's average competition Q, what the @#% is that?

Little hard to see if there are any imperfections with that tiny of a photo but from what I can see, that's what I look for when I'm giving a 9 in appearance! Good job. Oh and keep that junk out of KC and north of the border. I don't wanna compete against anyone doin that!

If you click on the pic it will open up to a full size pic.

I think that it would do well at any contest 9 or 8 depending on the day.
WTG!

I think it is a good looking box.....but in my past turn-ins I have always scored low on boxes without sauce on the meat. Maybe it's just me but my brisket scores have consistantly been higher with sauce. You might try it.....who knows.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8 maybe. 7 ? What ? Oh I know what's bothering you there's not enough burnt ends to take home in your to go box. Your a very experienced judge aren't you ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I haven't taken anything home in years, guess what, getting leftover food really isn't why I have been judging for 8 years.

I come here to the competition page and see people asking about their boxes, and most of the other competitors says it's perfect, don't change a thing! But if the point of asking is to be told they are all perfect, why ask? Why not just say, here's my perfect box, and all judges who wouldn't give a 9 are idiots? I assumed (stupid me, we all know what that means) Diva Q seriously wanted some input.

As I said in my first post, I knew I was going to get smacked for answering, but I was trying to be thoughtful, as I always do when I judge. Reading what I do here, I'm about ready to quit.

I haven't taken anything home in years, guess what, getting leftover food really isn't why I have been judging for 8 years.

I come here to the competition page and see people asking about their boxes, and most of the other competitors says it's perfect, don't change a thing! But if the point of asking is to be told they are all perfect, why ask? Why not just say, here's my perfect box, and all judges who wouldn't give a 9 are idiots? I assumed (stupid me, we all know what that means) Diva Q seriously wanted some input.

As I said in my first post, I knew I was going to get smacked for answering, but I was trying to be thoughtful, as I always do when I judge. Reading what I do here, I'm about ready to quit.

Alrighty time for me to chime in here.

First Saucy I asked for opinions. I didn't asked to be coddled or critiqued lightly. You are correct in assuming I wanted some serious input. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This thread has now had over 1000 hits and that surprised me. I never got any maliciousness from that post due to the many happy faces. I think its foolish to take the stand you would be ready to quit based on that.

I posted this box on the brethren forum for a few reasons. The people who post here are some of the best competitors and the harshest critics on any BBQ forum I visit (I do mean this as a compliment)

Additionally as I am doing more US comps this year than Canadian comps
input from mostly US teams is really valuable to me.

What I was surprised about was some really harsh emails I got seriously asking why I would bother posting such a "perfect box" Thats a load of crap. IF I thought that box was perfect I would not have posted it. I think it needs work still. I have appreciated each and every one of the posts good bad or indifferent.

To me brisket is brisket you can't do a heck of a lot with presentation not like the other threee categories.

:shock::shock: Thoughtful ? Really ? You said " I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9." How thoughtful is that ? How helpful is it ? pffft :eek::eek:

I was not trying to be funny. I said 9 because it looked like one of the nicest boxs I have ever seen. I wished mine looked that good

Looks pale and boiled to me.i give it a 6.
After more thoughts,i can see that the slices are cut to perfection,can't get any improvements there,
still looks like spam though,pale,pale,pale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back