THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is just the completion of the clay dome (finally!)

IMG_2889_zps64861df8.jpg

IMG_2890_zpsdc7f89df.jpg

IMG_2892_zpsbed889ca.jpg

IMG_2894_zpsc0e28d57.jpg

IMG_2895_zps60dd11a9.jpg

IMG_2898_zpsd61409ff.jpg

IMG_2900_zps9f48f13f.jpg

IMG_2901_zps04bb1e24.jpg

IMG_2902_zps4562631e.jpg

If nothing else, at least I get to take a break for a while, which my back will greatly appreciate. Now all there is to do is wait...wait for it to dry, empty the sand, and fire it a little at a time to cure it. Then insulation and finishing plaster. Hopefully I'll have good news and more photos in a couple of weeks. Thanks for looking!

man i love it. been thinking about doing this too. i'm still a non searchable noob. I need to dig up some info. anyways it looks great, i can't wait to see some pics of pizza firing in there.

@Guamaque - Thanks! That's actually what I have surrounding the bottles in the insulation layer. It's a mix of perlite with clay slip. Initially I was using sawdust with clay slip, but I found the perlite/clay mixture MUCH easier to work with. After the dome dries out and I cure it, I'm planning on going over the clay dome with the perlite/clay mixture out to the edges of the bricks. That should give me 4-5 inches of insulation around the outside of the dome...hopefully that'll be enough. I'd like to use this for baking/roasting too.

@caliking - The entry/arch is 10.5 inches tall, and the top of the inside of the dome is right at 16 inches. I've read everywhere from 63% - 67% entry to dome height, so I'm roughly 65%...hopefully that will work. If need be, I can close it off by building up clay inside the edges of the entry. Hopefully I don't need to open it up more!

still lookin' good!

I think you should be okay. With my leaky non-mortared build, I can hit 900°+ with a few pieces of split wood. You may already know this from your research, but I think the clay needs to dry out slowly, so may need to be covered with wet burlap or newspaper as it dries, or even hosed down intermittently. I may not be 100% right, so you may want to check. would hate for you to find cracks as it dries.

Nice build! Looks to be efficient with the ideal entry/dome ceiling ratio.

I did the same thing on my build, used an angle iron instead of an arch for the entry.

Last edited:
Back