Pits by JJ Insulated Vertical Offset Stickburner

It's unknowable how it'll turn out until it's built. The money is, of course, on the inside of the pit. It'll be real interesting to see how this whole project goes. I just don't think it'll be a failure--not with his track record, experience, and reputation on the line. Like a lot of things, it'll probably be a mix of outcomes that are pass-able.

It'll probably be quite efficient (stick every 3-4 hours). It may not have Shirley flavor but it'll likely have robust wood flavor. It probably will be ultra predictable with the ability to hold a temp within 5-10 degrees for 3-4 hours. I figure minion snake method with just a single-file line of briquettes would allow me to leave it unattended for 8-10 hours. My guess, especially with a water pan, it'll have rapid recovery times when opening/closing doors.

If anything, it'll probably have a tendency to creep higher in temp so an additional control will be the twin 6-inch stacks that are L-shaped exiting the side of the cabinet. I'm guessing the radiant heat will probably shorten cook times a bit. The 2 Pit Bull fans from my BBQ Guru will also be a hedge against wild swings.

I'm still game. Like much of life, no holy grail, but very cool in a geeky kind of way. I've got more questions into Jose. He's been handling me like a champ. Probably 20 questions over 4 e-mails. Good sport without a doubt.

Notorious, where did we end up on this build? Did Jose build it for you? I read through the five pages and got all excited about it LOL. I live close to Jose here in Houston, and I like what they do over there.

treytexag

It's unknowable how it'll turn out until it's built. The money is, of course, on the inside of the pit. It'll be real interesting to see how this whole project goes. I just don't think it'll be a failure--not with his track record, experience, and reputation on the line. Like a lot of things, it'll probably be a mix of outcomes that are pass-able.

It'll probably be quite efficient (stick every 3-4 hours). It may not have Shirley flavor but it'll likely have robust wood flavor. It probably will be ultra predictable with the ability to hold a temp within 5-10 degrees for 3-4 hours. I figure minion snake method with just a single-file line of briquettes would allow me to leave it unattended for 8-10 hours. My guess, especially with a water pan, it'll have rapid recovery times when opening/closing doors.

If anything, it'll probably have a tendency to creep higher in temp so an additional control will be the twin 6-inch stacks that are L-shaped exiting the side of the cabinet. I'm guessing the radiant heat will probably shorten cook times a bit. The 2 Pit Bull fans from my BBQ Guru will also be a hedge against wild swings.

I'm still game. Like much of life, no holy grail, but very cool in a geeky kind of way. I've got more questions into Jose. He's been handling me like a champ. Probably 20 questions over 4 e-mails. Good sport without a doubt.

I don't think he has posted anything in like a year. He was on here a lot and then just dropped out of site. I enjoyed his posts.

I went by JJ's shop a few months ago. He makes some really nice looking pits. The quality is definitely up there.

Back