THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dward51

Full Fledged Farker
After missing out on the Walmart markdown earlier this year where they went for $109, I've been watching Brickseek to see if any of the Copperhead 5 Vertical Smokers were being marked down after July 4th. I finally saw one of my local stores had them discounted to $223. That's enough of a discount for me (I even thought about paying the $396 recently). I snagged the last one they had. Of course Brickseek said they had 4, but it was really only 1. Oddly enough I have not seen another marked down one anywhere since then. I finally just got lucky I guess. Works for me...

At one time I had considered the Louisiana Grill 7 branded version of this smoker, but after seeing the assembled size of a 5 in person, I can't imagine I would ever need the extra volume of the 7. The five is huge in it's own right. I got it together with a little bit of tweaking needed on the door fitment, but that seems to be a common claim in the forums. After fiddling with the hinge screws a zillion ways, the right side of the door seemed to droop just enough that the inner metal frame inside the gasket was hitting the body of the smoker. I finally saw I post in one of the forums where someone just tightened the hinges down and then lifted up on the bottom right side of the door, torquing the door counter-clockwise to slightly bend the hinge pins and door as an assembly so it fit. This worked for me. I don't recall which forum I saw that in, but if it was someone here - THANK YOU!!!!

Yj10Wp6l.jpg

Here is the assembled PB 5 with a full size disposable pan on one grate to illustrate the size.

quYRpw8l.jpg

First fire for the burn in...

fb6pqdXl.jpg

VxHF7bbl.jpg

I did a quick smoke of some jalapeno & cheddar sausages as I had to cook something, right? No photos of the sausage as it was nothing special, just the ones from Sam's Club. Sitting next to my 18.5" WSM for scale. If you took the legs off the WSM, I think it would fit inside the cook chamber of the PB 5. This thing is huge!!! Like I said, I can't imagine needing a 7 for more cooking room. Yes, I'm happy.

9qrVFsSl.jpg

My Copperhead doesn't get used as much as it should. Still won't get rid of it though, it is a jerky smoking beast.

Congrats, neighbor. I am on the fence of "would I really use one if I had one" or "do I want one for the novelty of it"? They are neat, so for now, you owners cook and post and I will live vicariously through you.

First real smoke was chicken wings tonight. I'm sold 200% on this smoker. If you can find one marked down it is worth acquiring one if you have room for it. It is so easy to use. I'll cover a lot more on this in a post specific to the chicken cook.

Congrats on the find! It’s great smoker for the price. And it doesn’t take up lot of real estate.

Back