THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I also cook dark meat to 185, even as high as 190 with quarters if the "handshake test" doesn't pass. It always turns out moist and tender with beautiful edible skin. Been making a slice on topside of the bone joint between leg and thigh to allow more heat in and also to let excess rendered fat to escape.

Light meat, I pefer mid 160's, but I rarely cook straight white meat anymore. When cooking whole chickens in the weber OTS, I'll spatchcock or completely split and place the dark meat end closer to the indirect heat, seems to help both dark and white meat finish at the same time.

I remember seeing a link with some great information on this subject a while back but for the life of me I couldn't find it until today. The poster that mentioned the issue with young chickens and their porous bones was dead-on.

Here's the rest of the info on the subject as well as my TL;DR "Too long, didn't read" version.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

TL;DR Version: Trust your thermometer! Just because you see red doesn't mean the chicken isn't fully pasteurized.

Back