Pie Iron chat

Always had better luck with the singles, the older cast aluminum were the best (not the nonstick coated type)
the bread toasted to a completely different texture than the cast iron ones.
the usual pizzas and fruit pies.
but also breakfast sandwiches, bacon, ham, or sausage, (pre cooked) cheese and crack a raw egg in it, be sure to cook it over lower heat (low and slow?)
fantastic. have also cooked hamburgers (meat only)
another thing to try is cinnamon rolls from the the can.
the best thing to do is let the kids cook there own (not too young), there will be some burned food and maybe the occasional finger but the memories are priceless. If they fail drop it in the fire and try again

the best thing to do is let the kids cook there own (not too young), there will be some burned food and maybe the occasional finger but the memories are priceless. If they fail drop it in the fire and try again

Amen to that! :thumb:
My memories from 40 years ago camping with the G-parents are why I've got one now. Memories of burnt fingers have been covered by memories of burning the roof of my mouth COMPLETELY off from the hot filling.
But most importantly, I have the memories with them.

Use mine every time we go camping. The wife is famous for burning 2-3 sandwiches every time she uses it. My favorite would be ham and cheese on white but use mayo as a slather on the outside of bread instead of butter

We used to use these frequently when on Boy Scout camp outs but I haven't thought much about them in years. We do have two pristine pie irons which were received as gifts a coupe of years ago. We're going to the weekend-place for the fourth; guess what's coming with us?

Bad new Bob. Not a bandwidth issue. Photobucket changed their terms and blocks linking photos to the forum unless you pay $400 a year. All my photos from a years worth of threads are gone. Got to find a new option.

WHAT!?!?!?! :shock:
Last I checked, I had 3000+ photos on there over the past dozen years.
Not cool.
Thanks for the info though, now I understand.

OK bought one today at Menards. Fourth of July will be the day- our tradition for the 4th is breakfast/lunch/dinner on the Weber and all day on the patio cooking and swimming. Gonna give the pie iron a shot this year.

Thanks for the thread and heads up. I love the Brethren. :thumb:

Back