THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two thinks popped in my head while reading this:

1. My family is Southern Baptist. They all shun alcohol (unless there are none around)
2. You went to a great deal of effort to accommodate him that most would not have considered.

Oh.....was the lamb good?

No the lamb was horrible, even all the hotdogs were eaten, and about 80% of the shank was left, it looked good but I decided to use a Greek type of seasoning that was kosher, and it basically tasted like a wet piece of leather with oregano on it.

Can I have your pulled pork recipe? That chit must be GOOD!

I cook them at 275F for about 3 hours then wrap them in foil for about another 2 hours until the internal temp is about 205 to 210 and they are tender. Then, I rest the butt in a cooler for at least an hour or until it's time to serve. That means I only need to watch the smoker for about 5 hours, 6 hours at the most.
Injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Rub
•1/4 cup/60 mL paprika
•2 tablespoons/30 mL salt
•2 tablespoons/30 mL sugar
•2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
•2 tablespoons/30 mL ground cumin
•2 tablespoons/30 mL chili powder
•2 tablespoons/30 mL freshly ground black pepper
•1 tablespoon/15 mL cayenne pepper

Don't sweat it! At least you didn't do it intentionally like me and my friends when we were younger. He thought it was delicious until we told him what he ate. :twisted:

By the same token I've come across plenty of times when muslim or Jewish guys scarfed down pork. Only thing they asked I don't tell anyone.

Like the others have said....a lot of people wouldn't have gone to the effort of making something separate...something specifically catered to a religious belief not your own...just to make someone feel comfortable and included. That says a lot about you as a person. Personally....I'd be DAMN proud if my pork was so good someone of the Muslim faith couldn't stop eating it.....

You were awesome t tell him what he was eating He gave you an extreme compliment by going back to eat it That was his choice

For crying out loud Smokin J, do you realize the possible repercussions of what you have done? With about 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, if this gets out the price of pork will go through the roof, and it will be all your fault. Now next time you see him you really need to shame him and discourage that kind of behavior. :p

Your actions speak volumes! Not surprised as it seems like everyone on this forum would do the same. Just a bunch of great real people that happen to cook darn great food!

I wouldn't feel bad at all! I find this story rather funny! I couldn't help but laugh when I read you caught him making another plate! Must of been some good pork!

But I wouldn't worry to much about it. Can't blame the guy really! There's always temptation for the forbidden fruit. I'd just mark this as a positive private exchange between you and a secret BBQ loving Muslim!

Last edited:
First of all, great job doing your best to accommodate someone else's belief. The world could use a lot more people like you. I have done two peacekeeping tours in the Middle East and still go there for work. I have found everyone there friendly and welcoming.

Mistakes happen, you did the right thing quietly telling him. Don't make a big deal out it and just let it go.

Best story ever.

You told him and he chose to eat more. Take it as a compliment. Also it's very kind of you to try to accomadate him. Not many people would do that.

I use to be dead set against the consumption of alcohol. Then some bbq guys and my father law introduced me to alcohol. Turns out I really like alcohol a lot in moderation. If it burns on the way down I really enjoy that.

My point is sometimes it's just a matter of changing someone's mind. I got mine changed about alcohol and he changed his mind about pork. It's his choice as it is my choice to drink alcohol. So I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Back