THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokin J's PIts

Full Fledged Farker
Ok I don’t know where to start with this. On the 23rd every year we do a shop cook out it’s the day before Christmas break and no work is going to get done anyhow. This year it was a little different for us as we have a practicing Muslim working for us, so in an effort of keeping it fair to everyone we had to widen our selection of meat, and for the first time we labeled things and even provided quite a few kosher selections. I want to state that I was raised to respect people for their life decisions regardless of what they are, and after being deployed over in the Iraq region twice, I have learned a lot about other people and their faith, and I may not agree with their beliefs but I respect it. I know that a lot of people instantly have a negative effect when they hear Muslim, but for me its kind of peace of mind, its something I am very familiar with. Anyhow as always I was volunteered to cook pulled pork, I also took it upon myself to smoke a few other things, one of which was a lamb shank that was Halal, that I intentionally got to be fair and even across the board, I even talked my boss into buying a Brinkmann water smoker so that there wasn’t any pork residue being cooked into the shank. All was fine, until I noticed that the wind blew over the labels that we had sitting out in front of the meats, and I noticed that my co-worker (Muslim) was eating un-sauced pulled pork. After debating for few minutes I decided I needed to tell him what he was doing, and as to be expected he had a look of shock on his face and immediately went and threw his plate in the trash. He disappeared for about 15 minutes, I assumed he was praying and asking for forgiveness. When he returned he made another plate, with no meat at all this time, finished eating and went back to his work area. By this point I was feeling really bad, at what had happened, and about 30 minutes later I went to talk to him to reassure him that it was not intentional, and he was aware of the accommodations that we did make on his behalf, and he thanked me several times for this while we were cooking everything. As I walked into the shop where he worked I was the one in shock, he was sitting at his work table piling pulled pork on a piece of bread, and crying, I physically mean there were tears rolling down his face. I asked him what he was doing, and these were his exact words (this pork is too damn good to not eat at least one more time in my life, Im just going to have to beg for forgiveness). Now I am in a dilemma because this could have just been the best compliment that I have ever received for my BBQ, even though I know it wasn’t my personal best, however the meal I helped prepare just made a 45 year old man go against the only religion he has ever known, possibly in the eyes of his religion doming him to committing a mortal sin that he may never be forgiven for, and this is weighing very hard on me know. I know that ultimately it was his decision, and he is the one that will have to live with that but deep down inside I still feel as if I corrupted him.

I work with a few guys who have been in the Middle East and they say they All drink Alcohol and eat Pork if you get them away from other Muslims.......... We had a guy from Kenya come to our shop for 6 weeks training. He was not Muslim but didn't eat pork cuz he was raised its a nasty animal that peasants eat. We tried and tried but he wouldn't even try it until we took him to a Breakfast Buffet and he smelled the Bacon. He ate plate after plate of Bacon.........

I am not sure what I can write that would comfort you. However, as a religious man myself, I can try to reassure you that you are a good man for trying, caring, and personally taking responsibility even when you have done nothing wrong. This in an of itself speaks volumes to your moral character. You have done right by feeling responsible, but that doesn't mean are a bad person.

I wouldn't be troubled over this for one millisecond if I were you for so many reasons, some of which you state in your own post, others which relatively learned folks simply understand.

I believe Muslims also have a cleansing ritual as well as a specific set of prayers for such things. Most of these taboos are old and come from a fear of trichinosis from hundreds of years ago. Just like the Jewish taboos. They become custom.

Don't feel bad because he genuinely liked what you cooked. Faith is a personal thing and he'll deal with it as he sees fit.

I guess my biggest moral dilemma, is that inside I both want to hold shame, even though it wasn't my decision, but at the same time my egotistical a$$ wants to brag that my pulled pork was so good that it made a Muslim come back for more after he knew what it was he was eating. I know he cared and was personally conflicted with his choice because a grown man was crying because he was eating something he liked. I just need to not let things like this bother me, but that's easier said than done.

I applaud you for your moral compass Smokin J. That said though the transgression was 100% on him. He attended the dinner knowing there was forbidden meat there. He knew after his first bite that what he was eating was not lamb yet he continued to eat it. You busted him by pointing it out thus the plate in the trash thing. This was proven by the fact that when no one was looking he was still eating pork. You did not make him do that J.

Two thinks popped in my head while reading this:

1. My family is Southern Baptist. They all shun alcohol (unless there are none around)
2. You went to a great deal of effort to accommodate him that most would not have considered.

Oh.....was the lamb good?

You did good!! Nothing more that you could have done. I'd say he really loved your pulled pork, that's a great compliment!

I had a similar situation last year at a family reunion. One family member brought a friend from Malaysia who didn't eat pork. We separated all pork from the other food, also kept serving utensils separate. He was aware of the set up but indulged anyway.
You can only do so much, everyone has to make their own decisions.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Feel good in the fact that you care about others and their feelings. And consider that you may have given him the one time in his life he was able to taste the piggy goodness.

You did all you could do. He is a grown man and makes his own choices.

Can you send me some of that pork?:razz:

The bad thing was this by no means my best, on a scale of 1-10 I would have given it a solid 6, first time cooking on this particular pit, and it was almost all charcoal, only had one small piece of mesquite. Our wood supplier crapped out on us at the last minute.

Corrupted someone? Hmmm.....we are free to make our choices. You informed your co-worker of what he was doing....you are off the hook if you ask me. But I am far from religious so....

Back