THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

haeffnkr

Hello,
I tried to use my pellet grill again yesterday.
I cooked 2 racks of spare ribs at 275 just under 4 hours total and they were nasty and burned flavor from the grease burning.
I cooked them 3 hours at 275 on the smoker flat with some rub and spritzed with apple juice a few times, then wrapped for 45 minutes then sauced for 5-10 and done.

The Cabela's ( camp chef dlx ) pit was clean when I started, I even ran it earlier in the week and just burned off anything that was lingering at 400. The pit is level and drains into the bucket.

Pics show the handful of burned fat/grease that was left after the cook. Is this the expected behavior of this grill?
Do all models of pellet grills behave this way?
Is it better to run these low and slow so the fat burns less?
I must be missing something or is this just an oven that everything is to be cooked in a pan?

Really scratching my head and any input would be appreciated.
thanks in advance!

my Google pics -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5YhmqBedlkxdAEJh2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nPj9CrWfAMNt9LRB2

thanks haeffnkr

So you are experiencing scorch over the fire bowl?

Try adjusting the temps down a bit to 225 and move the ribs offset from that position.

I cook my ribs at 275 on my Traeger. I get a good amount of grease drain off but it goes into the bucket usually. I'm not sure why yours is sitting on the grease tray unless it's improperly installed (sitting flat vs at an angle).

Don't go by the set temp. It's often way off from the actual grate temp. Mine is off by 50+*. So it's possible you were cooking at a much higher temp.

Check your pit temp with a good aftermarket therm like a maverick 732.

I'm not familiar with the Cabela's pellet smoker, but does it have a heat baffle below the grease pan? Is it installed? It looks as though you're getting a lot of direct heat on the grease pan.

I cook my ribs at 275 on my Traeger. I get a good amount of grease drain off but it goes into the bucket usually. I'm not sure why yours is sitting on the grease tray unless it's improperly installed (sitting flat vs at an angle).

Hi,
The tray has a good slope to it... not flat and it properly installed. It is maybe 2 inches of slope from left to right then it goes down the v tray and out the can. The v tray has slope also so it does not puddle in it before it goes into the outside can.

I might try to tip it more.

thanks haeffnkr

So you are experiencing scorch over the fire bowl?

Try adjusting the temps down a bit to 225 and move the ribs offset from that position.

Seems to be anywhere on the grease pan, not just over the fire bowl.
To note there is a heat shield over the fire bowl and then the big grease pan over that ( under the grill where the fat accumulates). Yes everything is installed and sloped in the correct way, down on the right side and sloped to the back so it goes out the can.

thanks haeffnkr

Don't go by the set temp. It's often way off from the actual grate temp. Mine is off by 50+*. So it's possible you were cooking at a much higher temp.

Check your pit temp with a good aftermarket therm like a maverick 732.

I monitored the pit with a known accurate bbq thermometer, close to the location of the stock temp probe and the pit temp was always close or equal to the controller temp.

thanks haeffnkr

You might consider turning your drip tray into a kind of second deflector plate by getting a large baking pan and placing it on top of the deflector, but resting 3/4"-1" above it by placing some balls of wadded up aluminum foil between them.

This should give an added measure of thermal protection to the rendering fat and prevent it from burning. While not an ideal solution, it may give you some insight into what is occurring.

You might consider turning your drip tray into a kind of second deflector plate by getting a large baking pan and placing it on top of the deflector, but resting 3/4"-1" above it by placing some balls of wadded up aluminum foil between them.

This should give an added measure of thermal protection to the rendering fat and prevent it from burning. While not an ideal solution, it may give you some insight into what is occurring.

That is exactly what I was thinking.
I have an infrared thermometer that I need to check the grease pan temp when the pit temp is 275 or 300 measured 5 to 6 inches above it to the left of the fire box.
If that pan is smoking hot ... 400 to 500 degrees, then there is design issue with this grill and anything will burn on it like I am experiencing.

thanks haeffnkr

Id be pissed if I bought a new cooker and had to do this....I feel like something else is at play here. It cant be designed to do that

Id be pissed if I bought a new cooker and had to do this....I feel like something else is at play here. It cant be designed to do that

I called camp chef and sent them an email and pics also.
We will see what they say.
I must be missing something.... but not sure what it might be.

thanks haeffnkr

I agree. This was suggested as a troubleshooting aid. Realistically, I believe I'd be kinda' super double pissed.

I believe I have that same model pellet smoker as you and have never had this problem, I will say I bought two of their cheaper models and both had issues with excessive heat so much so it was burning the paint off the top of the smoker, hitting temp above 600. there service department was super and sent me new temp controllers which I installed but they two did not work properly so I returned them both. They even sent me a new door to replace the burnt one. I still bought another one, I am hard headed like that. :crazy:I have had no problems with this one, if their service department had not been so helpful I would never took a chance on this one, and so far I am happy with it.

First thing is check and see if the unit is sitting level side to side and front to back. I did this to insure the pellets were moving down hill and not backing up in the auger, which could cause a fire moving into the hopper, also letting the grease would drain properly. I found the main prob sensor to be a little lose after hitting it with the drip tray,:rolleyes: so now I have a wooden clothes pen attached at the bottom of the sensor that keeps it snug my fear was it could touch the metal side of the cooker and give me a bad reading. You should have another probe for reading internal temp that slides through a hole in the side of the cooker next to the hopper, this can be used to also check grate temp , cut a potato in half and insert probe until the end is sticking out one side and set it on the grate, making sure it is not touching anything else. I cook at anywhere between 275 and as high as 400 and have never had your problem, and never have I had that kind of grease build up, but I have never cooked more than one slab of ribs at the same time but I still don't think I would have a problem doing so. I also have lowered the top cone on the exhaust almost as low as it will go to help retain more heat and smoke, can't really say it has helped, but don't think it has hurt either.

I also lay a sheet of aluminum foil on the drip pan for easy clean up, I have even removed the drip pan a few times to try and get a better grilling effect but that did not do so well, and so now I keep it in. Hope this will help. I would keep after customer service if they don't respond to your liking. If you use the foil make sure it is not getting bunched up on the drain end and making a grease dam effect.
Dave

Last edited:
I always line the drip tray with foil, at least two layers of heavy duty. Sometimes up to six, that way I can peel one away as needed without having to "start from scratch" during each cleanup. I never run with less than two layers tho.

If you are getting burning, you might try buying some 1/4-3/8" steel round bar. Cut down a few strips that are the length of the pan so that they run parallel with the front/back of the cooker. Lay down a layer of foil, then the pieces of round bar and then put another lay or two of foil over the top. This will create an air gap in the foil and should eliminate any chance of burning.

I'd also verify the temperature that you've set on the controller is actually representative of the grate temperature of where you're cooking. You may find a significant difference in the controller set point and the actual pit temperature.

I monitored the pit with a known accurate bbq thermometer, close to the location of the stock temp probe and the pit temp was always close or equal to the controller temp.

thanks haeffnkr

I have a Rectec but my understanding is that the grills are calibrated so the temp probe is estimating the temp at the center of the grill even though the probe may be measuring a different loacatiom (usually near the wall). Try measuring what's happening at the center of the grate vs near the other probe and see what it shows.

So... I play with the grill tonight...
I opened up the pit to find this lovely mess. Do all pellet grills blow the ash around like this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A0g1Zqbf2duec4Et1

I cleaned it up and put it back together and put my thermometer next to the factory one and set the controller at 275.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ViIup3HtAUIAkrJr1

I come back after 30 minutes to find my pit is running around 15 to 20 degrees hotter than advertised.....ugh

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pqOWuyWOevzopb8a2

I read the temp from the grease pan at 350 to 370.... UGH.... and when I tried to read the temp of the actual grate it always read about the same ... 350 to 370 ish... more UGHHHH

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4hBuc3rtN93g95ms1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ffwp68aGrEYaETjF2

But it did sort of make sense that the temp 6 inches above the bottom grate... where the temp probes and say the pit is 275ish... that the upper grate is at 270ish.... make sense sort of I guess.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cjInEN4MlzQx2I2Q2

Then I crank it up to 300 and come back 15 minutes later and to find the grate temp is 470 .... love that feature :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdfzrrX12GSRIM5I2

Lets review.... at 275
- Factory probe measures about 15 degrees lower than expected
- Grate temps where I cook are 75 to 100 degrees hotter than I expected and is WELL with in the temps of burn anything that touches it.
- Upper grate is very close to advertised temp
- at 300.... way too hot.....

I guess tomorrow I can try it at high and low smoke and see what happens... the manual says essentially cook pork at low temps.
Maybe the swing at 200 is less than 275 and 300.

More to come when I hear from Cust Service.....

Oh and one more thing... I run over to Costco to see a Traeger/Camp Chef/Cabelas/you name company grill with very similar parts. As in the stainless handles, grate, exhaust chimney, almost exact same fire box, heat deflector and grease pan??
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GoexVuibb4SJu5Q93\

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y7yYdpGF61IA8rKZ2

thanks for all the help, keep it coming
haeffnkr

Hi,
The tray has a good slope to it... not flat and it properly installed. It is maybe 2 inches of slope from left to right then it goes down the v tray and out the can. The v tray has slope also so it does not puddle in it before it goes into the outside can.

I might try to tip it more.

thanks haeffnkr

Is your ground level? If its not then even of the drip tray is on properly the grease will not drain and collect on your tray and burn.

I have a Rectec but my understanding is that the grills are calibrated so the temp probe is estimating the temp at the center of the grill even though the probe may be measuring a different loacatiom (usually near the wall). Try measuring what's happening at the center of the grate vs near the other probe and see what it shows.

Thanks .... This is what I saw tonight... but it was measured at the upper grate, not the lower one where I was generally cooking on.

thanks haeffnkr

Back