THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This subject may be beat to death, But.

This came off my YS640,
Sammy
I like your Yoder. Blue Competition cart. Bold choice. Keep smokin' dude.
I think the topic of the smoke ring has been flogged pretty hard.
I used to think it was an indication of smoke penetration and therefore smoker quality. I have read enough technical food science stuff to now understand it is neither. Its just an artifact of how different meats cook.

I still like sharing some love with other Yoder owners though.
Lookin' good in the neighborhood

This came off my Pitboss Copperhead 5
100-5058.jpg

100-4999.jpg

100-4689.jpg

100-4121.jpg

100-4124.jpg

I just add red dye 40 to all my rubs/marinades. You get such a deep smoke ring. I don't know how my oven does it!
Tenderquick does a great job as well. Unless you want to be "Nitrite Free", then you can probably sprinkle with some celery powder. :mrgreen:

Proof that smoke rings have nothing to do with smoke flavor :becky:

*runs and hides*

I know that was a joke but it's very true -- beyond the chemical impacts others have posted. I can't even begin to replicate using charcoal the smoke rings that the Rectec produces. I can easily get a heavier smoke flavor but the visual -- no comparison.

Celery powder vs tenderquick = both are "cures" and nitrites. Celery is one of the sources for the nitrites and nitrates in cures. The chemical is the same either way.

Also my Copperhead 5 gives results very similar to RadRob's photos. Stickburner, charcoal (with wood chunks), pellet pooper, and gasser (oh hell no?) all have a different flavor profile though.

Back