THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the 3 Wally Worlds I have near me....maybe if I drive to Washington?
Man, I have a hard time believing that you can't find tender quick in the salt isle of nearly any super market... I'll send you some if you need me to. Homemade bacon is the best! Haven't tried the pastrami... YET!! Now it's on my list!

I grew up in the DC area and when I go back to visit family I always take several bags of tender quick with me for the family. It can be hard to find in some areas of the country but you can get it online.

Don't hurt me on this but can it be done without the Tenderquick. I'm not the biggest fan of adding nitrates and nitrites.

No TQ in so cal either.

Alright, now I think Norco's just trying to get free TQ! =)

Botox shops on every damn corner, but not a bag of TQ to be found! LMAO Keep your Kalifornia please. ;)

BTW - For the life of me I can't find brisket or butts or even bacon here in montana, somebody mind sendin me some? I'll trade for TQ... :mrgreen:

Don't hurt me on this but can it be done without the Tenderquick. I'm not the biggest fan of adding nitrates and nitrites.

On something like pastrami or corned beef you should be able to just use a brine or dry salt cure without any trouble. The nitrites/nitrates are really there to prevent spoiling when pkging or storing for a long time. Any time you do sausage or jerky you prolly should use some (I get away without it in jerky by dehydrating a bit more, the less moisture involved and higher the salt content, the less chance for bacteria to grow. My guess is that the pastrami or corned beef you whip up prolly ain't gonna be around for long.

I've also heard that nitrates/nitrites help produce that bright pink color, so yours might look a bit different than expected too.

I would use pickling salt (finer crystals = easier to disolve) and stick to whatever length of cure time is suggested with a TQ cure.

Last edited:
Day 2...

...time to flip my pastrami...(2nd flip)...

P1010069.jpg

Wow! That was exciting! :twisted: Can't wait for my next flip (#3) @ 10:00 tonight...:lol::lol::lol:

mmmmmmmmmm! I am very interested in this here thread!!! Can't wait to see the results!

mmmmmmmmmm! I am very interested in this here thread!!! Can't wait to see the results!

Shawn...are you doing what I think you're doing at that place where you're supposed to be doing something else? :twisted: You know...the same thing my wife does...:lol::lol::lol:

Day 4...

Yep...day four...I was gonna smoke it yesterday but never got around to it...too much runnin' around with Mrs. JD...:p

here we go...washed off all the curing stuff and soaked it for 1 hour...

006.jpg

patted dry...

007.jpg

rubbed up with black pepper, coriander, and granulated garlic...

009.jpg

010.jpg

fired up the BGE with Weekend Warrior and pecan...

011.jpg

threw the cured brisky on @ 225 degrees...I'll smoke it @ 225-250 till she hits 165 degrees internal (about 4 hours or so) then I'll cooler it for two hours...

012.jpg

See ya in a few hours...:p

Frothing at the mouth anticipating how good that's gonna be!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Looking for some TQ around SF Bay area too?

JD do you know if pastrami can be vaccuum sealed and frozen? I hate to make a whole brisket and not be able to. Great thread.

JD do you know if pastrami can be vaccuum sealed and frozen? I hate to make a whole brisket and not be able to. Great thread.

I sure hope so bro...there's no way we can eat 8lbs of it here before it goes bad. :p More than likely I'll share with Swamprb...if he's real nice! :twisted:

Sure lookin' good. I agree 8 lb. is a hunk of meat. I believe FedEx could get some of it to Gig Harbor before the spoil set in.:-D

Sure lookin' good. I agree 8 lb. is a hunk of meat. I believe FedEx could get some of it to Gig Harbor before the spoil set in.:-D

If you leave now you can make it just in time for supper...:lol::lol::lol:...we eat @ 7:00 pm...don't be late...:twisted:

Back