Pastrami

JJJBBQ

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
J
Going for some easy pastrami. Got two 4-5 lb corned beefs from Costco. Soaked overnight with several water changes. Dry rub consists of black pepper, ground coriander, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, and a touch of cayenne. In the 270 at 300 with cherry chunks. Going hot and fast. Need it ready for dinner tonight with friends. Ribs going on in about an hour or so.

Last edited:
Should have some happy dinner guests tonight! Pastrami is on my list of things to give a shot soon.

Yo' J,

I also use Costco corned beef to make pastrami and spice it and soak in a similar way (usually only one or two water changes though). Historically it's worked well, but last time the pastrami came out somewhat "bland", as if too much salt was pulled during the soak. Just wondering if you have experienced anything like that too?

Thanks,

Victor

Yo' J,

I also use Costco corned beef to make pastrami and spice it and soak in a similar way (usually only one or two water changes though). Historically it's worked well, but last time the pastrami came out somewhat "bland", as if too much salt was pulled during the soak. Just wondering if you have experienced anything like that too?

Thanks,

Victor

Actually, mine was a touch on the salty side. I soaked for about 16 hours with 3 water changes. I was actually thinking I needed to soak longer. Guess it’s pretty random.

Guess it’s pretty random.

Must be... The first few were fine. The last one was more like mildly seasoned brisket. Same brand, roughly the same weight. You'd think mine would have been saltier than yours (rather than less) since I didn't change water as often, huh? Have only used Meathead's KATZ rub on all, so there shouldn't have been much of a difference due to the rub either.

Think I'll try a point cut from a different source next time just to see what happens since they're very available right now. (St. Patty's Day sales & all...)

Thank you very much for the response & insight!

Back