PASTRAMI- (with PRON) I'm amazed

I keep hearing about taking it to 160˚, chilling it, then steaming it to 200˚.

Might have to try that...I have made a lot of them but always take it out arund 165 area then steam it and slice it....

I've not done pastrami YET, but I'm a bit confused. Doesn't wrapping in foil "steam" the meat? Is there a different way to steam the pastrami? I've heard of steaming it as mentioned above, but I assumed wrapping it would do the trick. Is that NOT the preferred method?

By the way, laveen1......YOURS LOOKS BANGIN!!! :thumb:

I tried this last year, soaking the point before to remove the salt and it ended up so salty I was drinking water all evening and night.

Well I just put a 6+ lb flat in the frig to thaw. I'll see if it looks as good or sounds as good as your point. :thumb: That's a few day away though.

I've not done pastrami YET, but I'm a bit confused. Doesn't wrapping in foil "steam" the meat? Is there a different way to steam the pastrami? I've heard of steaming it as mentioned above, but I assumed wrapping it would do the trick. Is that NOT the preferred method?

By the way, laveen1......YOURS LOOKS BANGIN!!! :thumb:

Pressure cooker!

And laveen1, nice pastrami, I think I can taste it from here :icon_smile_tongue:

Pressure cooker!

And laveen1, nice pastrami, I think I can taste it from here :icon_smile_tongue:

+1

always a point... soaked..then slow smoked until 160 IT...pressure cooked for 30 min...DEVINE!!!!

I tried this last year, soaking the point before to remove the salt and it ended up so salty I was drinking water all evening and night.
I've had great luck with a few pre-corned points and I soak mine for a couple hours and I've never had one be too salty. I've even just rinsed it for a few minutes and it came out good, although you didn't need to salt the meat for sure, but not overly salty at all. Maybe you need to try a different brand of pre-corned beef?

And great looking Pastrami! You do yours almost exactly the way I do mine, I have had much better luck foiling instead of smoking to 165 and then pressure cooking it. Turns out much juicier. Makes me wanna pull the one I have in the fridge out and get it to smoking so I can have me a kraut and pastrami sandwich tomorrow!

Really good looking cook. I started a pastrami 2 weeks before St Paddy's day with a 5 lb deckle point and then corned it, dry aged it and finally smoked it until it reached IT of 170. Wrapped it and rested it, took a big hunk off the end of the tip to eat, because I couldn't wait any more then threw in the fridge. I sliced the rst this week and put it into my food saver bags and I am good for a while! Thanks your cook looks awesome!

That looks delicious! I love pastrami. I gotta try this some time. Great idea!

That's "slap yo' mama" good-looking! How did you manage to take such a small "sample" slice before dinner?:clap::thumb::hungry:

Back