THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Yesterday I smoked a pastrami and 2 butts on the drum. I had mixed results. The pastrami turned outvery tender and juicy but next time I will cut back on the pepper a little bit.

The buuts are where the problems came in. This is the first time I've cooked butts on the drum. I put them on about 8:00 am. The smoker held temps between 225 and 240 all day. The dang things just didn't want to cook. Finally after about 9 hours I foiled. I let them go another 2 1/2 hours. One was at 180, the other at 171. The drum was running out of gas after over 12 hours of cooking, so I moved them to the oven to finish them off. Took them up to 200 as normal. Parts were tender and juicy, but other parts were dry tough and stringy. I don't know if it's because they took soooo long to cook or something else. On the Char Griller they always turn out fantastic and cook in a lot less time. I thought one of the advantages to a drum was quicker cook time due to direct heat.

Here's the pron anyway....

pastrami.jpg

butt.jpg

I put two butts on my drum Friday night at 8 - cooked at 210 - 235 all night. Pullled them off at about 3:30 Saturday. 1 was 8lbs the other was 9lbs. They're done when they're done.

Great looking pastrami!!!
Made me pull a bag from the freezer---need a sandwich this afternoon :lol:

TIM

Great looking pastrami!!!
Made me pull a bag from the freezer---need a sandwich this afternoon :lol:

TIM

Steamed up some for breakfast. Added a little italian dressing, some melted provolone, mayo and spicy mustard on toasted bread. MMM MMM good.

Back