Overnighter: My First Whole Shoulder

Looks great!

BTW... how do you like that thermo? I saw one just like it at RD yesterday and thought about getting it. I compared it to the Thermapen and it's stats were somewhat comparable, but the price was very nice....

Looks great!

BTW... how do you like that thermo? I saw one just like it at RD yesterday and thought about getting it. I compared it to the Thermapen and it's stats were somewhat comparable, but the price was very nice....

I like it alot. Its made by Cooper. I actually had bought it for work from a refrigeration supply, but ended up using it for meat. In large cuts like this the temp reading is almost instant. I paid $20 for it.

Noob question on a whole pork shoulder... do you just cook that and treat it like a butt? Do you have to trim any fat/skin from it before starting the cook?

Ok here we are 15 hours in with an average IT of 175* That tells me that I'm past the plateau.
Should I ramp the temp up to crunchify the skin?

Yes, they cook exactly like a butt. When we get them they come just like what Q-Dat is showing. We dont trim.

The IT is now up to 190* I just opened the intakes all the way and will soon be running around 325*

I plan to keep the temp up until the bone pulls free easily.

If the skin isn't what I'm going for how do you all feel about pulling the skin off and putting it back on the pit to crisp it up?

Man that's looking good ! That's one thing I haven't tried yet.... hummm the 4th weekend is here :confused:

Ok here we are 15 hours in with an average IT of 175* That tells me that I'm past the plateau.
Should I ramp the temp up to crunchify the skin?

You should of ramped up the temp an hour into the cook IMO. That thing was in the danger zone for a long time. I would of started at 250 for one hour, then cranked it up to 300-325ish. The meat would of been over 140 in less than 3 hours.

So here we are all done and resting. Total time on the pit 18 hours. It looks blacker in the pic than in real life. Its just a deep deep dark reddish brown.

uploadfromtaptalk1309476116353.jpg

Tell me is this a good sign? ;-)

uploadfromtaptalk1309476213956.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Back