Overnight Pork Shoulder Picnic Cook

IAMM, how long do you normally brine for?

Before I started injecting I would brine the pork butts overnight. The problem is; with brining a large piece of meat, you also need a large container like bus tubs, meat lugs, or food grade buckets. In essence they will require a lot of real estate in the refrigerator.

For about 8 years now I have been injecting. I started injecting which made the task easier and less clean up. I used Chris Lilly's Injection but found it to be salty to my tastes, I cut back to almost half the amount of salt and it is still good. last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

The main reason for me brining a pork butt wasn't to add moisture, simply because the pork butt has enough fat and connective tissue. The main reason I brined was for added flavors deep into the meat, added tenderness and added moisture are a byproduct of brining, as well as an improved texture.

I now, always use OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection. I Use fruit juice (Peach, Pear, Apple, or White Grape) for added flavors. For every 8 ounces of juice add 1 Tablespoon of OakRidge Game Changer Brine and then inject into the pork. I inject right through the cyro-packaging to save with cleanup, using different angles through the same hole to prevent leaking. I inject about 3 -4 hours before getting the smoker ready.

Before I started injecting I used to rub and let the pork sit overnight, but now I'll rub a few hours before smoking depending upon my time constraints.

When cooking injected pork butts I find the bone begins to wiggle at about 187°, I pull and then rest the pork in a cambro/cooler for 3 to 4 hours, and pull the pork just before serving. I find the OakRidge Game Changer Brine keeps the pork exceptionally tender, moist, flavorful, and it pulls in very long strands which is great for sandwiches.

Before I started injecting I would brine the pork butts overnight. The problem is; with brining a large piece of meat, you also need a large container like bus tubs, meat lugs, or food grade buckets. In essence they will require a lot of real estate in the refrigerator.

For about 8 years now I have been injecting. I started injecting which made the task easier and less clean up. I used Chris Lilly's Injection but found it to be salty to my tastes, I cut back to almost half the amount of salt and it is still good. last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

The main reason for me brining a pork butt wasn't to add moisture, simply because the pork butt has enough fat and connective tissue. The main reason I brined was for added flavors deep into the meat, added tenderness and added moisture are a byproduct of brining, as well as an improved texture.

I now, always use OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection. I Use fruit juice (Peach, Pear, Apple, or White Grape) for added flavors. For every 8 ounces of juice add 1 Tablespoon of OakRidge Game Changer Brine and then inject into the pork. I inject right through the cyro-packaging to save with cleanup, using different angles through the same hole to prevent leaking. I inject about 3 -4 hours before getting the smoker ready.

IAMM, with the Oakridge GC brine, in your estimation, is it ‘safe’ to inject say 12 hours before? By ‘safe’ I means it doesn’t come out ‘hammy’. If I cook starting 6am, I’d like to inject the night before.

TIA.

IAMM, with the Oakridge GC brine, in your estimation, is it ‘safe’ to inject say 12 hours before? By ‘safe’ I means it doesn’t come out ‘hammy’. If I cook starting 6am, I’d like to inject the night before.

TIA.

I've never injected more than 8 hours before cooking, but the meat has never turned out with a "hammy" flavor using one ounce of injection per pound of meat.

So I am not sure about the 12 hour time frame. Sorry I can't give you a proper answer to your question, because I have never injected that far in advance.

I use a hand needle and even with a dozen pork butts it literally takes no time to inject, especially if you inject right through the cyro-pack using the same hole with different angles to prevent leakage. If you are up at 11:00 PM or midnight, I'd say you are good to go.

I would also suggest that you make sure the pork is not "enhanced" with a salt solution if you plan on injecting.

Last edited:
Do you remove the skin and then just leave that small layer of protective fat you mentioned? Thanks.

That is correct, I removed the skin except for a 3-4" band around the shank to protect that section from drying out during the cook.

I removed that section of skin to facilitate forming as much bark as possible.

Last edited:
Back