Overcooked brisket.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
I'm planning on smoking a brisket this weekend and if my record holds, it will be overcooked. :biggrin1: I figured I would plan for that and be very happy if I manage to get closer than I normally do to a perfectly cooked one. I've never had issues with the taste or texture of my briskets. It's just that they tend to not slice very nicely and I've never gotten the famous picture of a slice of brisket drooping over the knife. As an example, here's a pic of the last one I did:
hum5TUfl.jpg

Notice that the slices are thick, but in the upper right corner you can see some pieces that just ripped as I cut them. So, what I'm looking for is simple: What do you suggest I do with the meat from an overcooked brisket?

We seldom eat “bbq”. Anything you can do with hamburger you can substitute brisket. Even mix chopped brisket with hamburger ie: Meatloaf-Chophouse Burgers. Chopped smoked brisket goes great in omelette or scrambled eggs. Soups-Stews-Chili (I prefer 75% ground with 25% Chopped brisket.) Sometimes I’ll stick Blend more Brisket and add ground beef. The flavor is phenomenal. Brisket enchiladas using the famous Country Pride recipe for the gravy. Tacos-Taco Salad-Italian it really doesn’t stop. Whatever you dream up can be wonderful.

Buy some large waffle cones. Layer chopped brisket, mashed potatoes, elote and an icing drizzle of brown gravy.

Have fun

I've never gotten the slice draped over a finger or knife either- it still bothers me sometime.

But I've had a lot loaded on a fork headed for my pie hole.

overcooked brisket > undercook brisket.

To answer your question: Chili

Not sure about the cooking though. Does the brisket crumble instead of slicing? What happens with a slice draped over a knife? Does it break in half on its own or does it curve smoothly and not fall almost straight down on both sides of the knife?

I'm planning on smoking a brisket this weekend and if my record holds, it will be overcooked. :biggrin1: I figured I would plan for that and be very happy if I manage to get closer than I normally do to a perfectly cooked one. I've never had issues with the taste or texture of my briskets. It's just that they tend to not slice very nicely and I've never gotten the famous picture of a slice of brisket drooping over the knife. As an example, here's a pic of the last one I did:
hum5TUfl.jpg

Notice that the slices are thick, but in the upper right corner you can see some pieces that just ripped as I cut them. So, what I'm looking for is simple: What do you suggest I do with the meat from an overcooked brisket?

Say no more...thats all that matters

I've cut briskets that just shred like pulled pork and I get angry....... while my family, friends and neighbors are devouring its goodness. Add in those soft Hawaiian rolls for extra goodness.

To answer your question: Chili

Not sure about the cooking though. Does the brisket crumble instead of slicing? What happens with a slice draped over a knife? Does it break in half on its own or does it curve smoothly and not fall almost straight down on both sides of the knife?

What He Said.

We seldom eat “bbq”. Anything you can do with hamburger you can substitute brisket. Even mix chopped brisket with hamburger ie: Meatloaf-Chophouse Burgers. Chopped smoked brisket goes great in omelette or scrambled eggs. Soups-Stews-Chili (I prefer 75% ground with 25% Chopped brisket.) Sometimes I’ll stick Blend more Brisket and add ground beef. The flavor is phenomenal. Brisket enchiladas using the famous Country Pride recipe for the gravy. Tacos-Taco Salad-Italian it really doesn’t stop. Whatever you dream up can be wonderful.

Buy some large waffle cones. Layer chopped brisket, mashed potatoes, elote and an icing drizzle of brown gravy.

Have fun

That's a great list of options. I have several brisket bags in the freezer that i've labeled as "brisket-beans' meaning I jacked it up, and should add it to beans. Really like seeing this list.

Looked up the Country Pride recipe. Cream of chicken soup? Really?

Back