Brisket

Well first off you're going to need a brisket. You can get a "whole packer" which has both the point and the flat, or you can get a flat or point separately. I'd go for the whole packer. Seeing as this is your first brisket I think you should go with the pellet grill for easy of operation and temperature control. For beef I myself prefer to use oak pellets but pecan and hickory are also good, the choice is yours.

Once you get your brisket you're going to need to trim it up some. There are many videos on you tube you can watch for guidance.

For the rub I'd keep it fairly simple 50/50 salt and pepper or Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Get your pellet grill fired up and set it at to your desired cooking temperature. That can be anywhere between 250F - 325F. I'd go with 275F. Place the brisket directly on the rack with a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the flat. You're going to cook until probe tender but thermometer is going to tell you a few things. The first is when you've hit the "stall" and when you're out of the stall.. That happens around 165F and continue till around 180F.

Some people will wrap the brisket in foil or butcher paper to help power thru the stall. You can also wrap it at any point you feel the color is where you want it to be.

When the internal temperature reaches about 190F or so start probing the flat for tenderness. I like to use a bamboo skewer for this but the point of an instant read thermometer works just as good.Probe tender is when the probe goes in with little or no resistance. It probable won't be at this point but it;s a good time to check and start keeping a close eye on the brisket. If it's not than let it go for another 20 minutes or so and repeat until it is probe tender.

Once it has reached probe tender remove from the grill and let it rest. How long to let it rest? Well some people will let it rest until the temperature drops to 140F while other will let it cool a bit then wrap in towels put it in a cooler and rest for hours and even overnight.

Once it's rested slice it up and enjoy!

There are many ways and methods, this is just a simple one. Good luck and don't be afraid it will be phenomenal!

Last edited:
Good instructions, Rick!

I would add that on a pellet cooker the flat should go down and the brisket should go on a top rack if possible. Anything to protect the meat from radiant heat coming up from the drip pan.

Also, I get good results cooking all the way to 190°F internal without wrapping. Then wrapping tightly in foil only after resting uncovered on the counter top till the meat cools down to 150°F internal and then holding in the oven at 150°F oven temp for several hours until time to slice and serve.

Good instructions, Rick!

I would add that on a pellet cooker the flat should go down and the brisket should go on a top rack if possible. Anything to protect the meat from radiant heat coming up from the drip pan.

Also, I get good results cooking all the way to 190°F internal without wrapping. Then wrapping tightly in foil only after resting uncovered on the counter top till the meat cools down to 150°F internal and then holding in the oven at 150°F oven temp for several hours until time to slice and serve.

Thanks, I should have added that wrapping is optional. I most often don't wrap but I do put it in a foil pan at some point to save the delicious juices.

Back