Organizing new comp in Ohio, need your help

Here's a link to KCBS sanctioning http://www.kcbs.us/about_sanctioning.php

I would definitely look into this.

Count me in to cook, my father in law lives north of there in Kingston, Would be a good thing.

Wonderful Mark! I am definately rethinking the sanctioning thing.

Kingston!?! Wow, small world!! A true one stop light town.:-D

If it's teams you are trying to attract with the name, that's one thing but if it's the general public then that's another consideration to be made in choosing the right name. I think the name can be as simple as you want it to be. Sometimes a simple name will create a sense of intrigue which leave people wanting to know more. Call it whatever you want then use your media resources to give further explanation.

Hate to run but gotta pack for the Jack.

Thanks for the help so far Jim!!
Have a safe trip and have fun!!:-D

You might want to see how many buffs the Guard can cough up. If you get to 15 teams one isn't going to do it, unless you plan to continuously fill it from your local source and that may not keep up with demand initially, and when teams are cleaning up and packing to head home.

Have you and the orchard owner come to any agreement on damages to his property in the event it rains? Some of the rigs and trucks that people pull into that field may take a lot of work to get out if you get some heavy rain. More importantly, do you have a plan for getting all of those folks out if they get stuck? Not your first priority, but something you might want to think about.

You might want to see how many buffs the Guard can cough up. If you get to 15 teams one isn't going to do it, unless you plan to continuously fill it from your local source and that may not keep up with demand initially, and when teams are cleaning up and packing to head home.

Have you and the orchard owner come to any agreement on damages to his property in the event it rains? Some of the rigs and trucks that people pull into that field may take a lot of work to get out if you get some heavy rain. More importantly, do you have a plan for getting all of those folks out if they get stuck? Not your first priority, but something you might want to think about.

Good info to consider. I think they have at least 2 tractors on site that would be big enough for that.

I'll have to ask Jim about the buffalo. He only had one in Dayton with 17 teams. I honestly don't know how often he had to fill it up.

Wonderful Mark! I am definately rethinking the sanctioning thing.

Kingston!?! Wow, small world!! A true one stop light town.:-D

Thanks for the help so far Jim!!
Have a safe trip and have fun!!:-D

Oh, I also believe he is a F&AM of the Kingston lodge

Good info to consider. I think they have at least 2 tractors on site that would be big enough for that.

I'll have to ask Jim about the buffalo. He only had one in Dayton with 17 teams. I honestly don't know how often he had to fill it up.

A full tank is 400 gal. if memory serves.

I tell you guys what:!:

The more I dig into this the more appreciation I have for an event organizer!!!:eek:

Unless you have organized one you just can't appreciate all of the work that is necessary to pull off even a small comp!!

I am literally setting here with page after page after page of stuff that needs done. I'm starting to think that June of 08 is REALLY pushing it to get all of this stuff done!!

One step at a time..........

I think a simpler name is better... If Hirsch wants their name in the title, then something like Hirsch Farms BBQ Competition would work... it doesn't have to be overly catchy, I don't think.

I agree that slopes can really suck.. flat is better. You can't level stuff very well with a slope unless you have special equipment.

Oh, and we'll sign up, I'm sure. I was just there last Saturday... how about doing one at the Adena House?

We live about 3:20 minutes from there and very interested. Get sanctioned!

no need to sugar coat it sled, you were in a storm water retention basin,

I was on a slope at and we are talking a very small slope at bluesaque in east hartford ct and it i wasnt to pleased. Also think about where the judges tent will be and what sort of obstacles and terrain the teams have to walk turn in boxes through. You might have to get diferent electric supply anyway and water can travel far so the flat spot looks a lot nicer. Keep in mind access of trucks trailer etc getting in and out as well

We had one buff....500 gallon....filled it up one time on Friday morning, supplied 16 teams and still had 100-150 gallons left when it was all said and done

Sorry about the delay guys, I had been trying to get some dates out of the owner that are free but he went an vacation over the holidays to see his family and I haven't crossed paths with him yet.

I will start trying to get him pinned down for some dates that work around the schedule of orchard/farm work and get this back on track.

I did talk to a friend that owns a welding shop and he said that I could use his big pull behind generator so we have a decent supply of electric.

Back