Organizing new comp in Ohio, need your help

It was just awkward, my wsm had to be leveled not a big deal but annoying, my tables were at the bottom on a flat and my cookers were up the slope behind so walking up and down was annoying

I concur with Sled. Walking on sloping ground just kills my back nowdays.
And im considered a pup still.

Why not get sanctioned the first year? It solves a lot of problems for you.

Also, the tables of judges can each accommodate 6 entries so 25 is a bad number. 30 would be good because if you get a couple no-shows at the last minute you'll still be a qualifier. Assuming you'll be getting a proclamation from the Governor which is highly recommended.

Ray

Excellent thought Ray!

Can you tell me what problems it solves? I need to know all the info I can get.

Sent you a PM

I agree with Ray. Up there I would go KCBS
You wont have to reinvent the wheel
and teams will respond
The teams pay for the electric the toilets the Reps
Prize money is the biggest challenge. What do you have?

Haven't got that far yet. We are thinking of having a "People's Choice" award and let the sponsors be judges for that. Then have the regular judging too.

Is there a better method for this?

It was just awkward, my wsm had to be leveled not a big deal but annoying, my tables were at the bottom on a flat and my cookers were up the slope behind so walking up and down was annoying

Good info. Thanks

Hmmmmm this is only a 10 hour drive for me. Get some sanctioning , a governors proclamation, and some prize money!:biggrin:

Why not get sanctioned the first year? It solves a lot of problems for you.

Also, the tables of judges can each accommodate 6 entries so 25 is a bad number. 30 would be good because if you get a couple no-shows at the last minute you'll still be a qualifier. Assuming you'll be getting a proclamation from the Governor which is highly recommended.

Ray

Good point on the judges. Did they change the first year comp requirement to 25 teams? Last year (and in previous years) it was 15 teams for first year comps then 25 teams for each year thereafter.

The proclamation is highly recommendedas you say and the way the Governor in Ohio drags his feet on things like this, Neil should have started the process of requesting the proclamation yesterday.

Ok, how do you go about getting this and can you explain exactly what the proclamation is for?

Ok, how do you go about getting this and can you explain exactly what the proclamation is for?
Proclamation is to make it an official state championship this way the winner gets the american royal invatational and into the drawing for the jack. Its a good tool in order to attract teams.

You need to contact Teddy's office and ask him to issue a proclamation declaring your competition a State Championship. Sharonville had trouble getting one from the Governor so KCBS told them a proc from a state Senator would work just as well.

You need to contact Teddy's office and ask him to issue a proclamation declaring your competition a State Championship. Sharonville had trouble getting one from the Governor so KCBS told them a proc from a state Senator would work just as well.

I need a name for the comp to tell them.

How does this sound?

Hirsch Fruit Farms presents "Smoke In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

or

Hirsch Fruit Farms presents "Smokin' In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

I need a name for the comp to tell them.

How does this sound?

Hirsch Farms presents "Smoke In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

or

Hirsch Farms presents "Smokin' In The Orchard BBQ Competition"

How about "Smokin' In The Orchard At Hirsch Farms"

How about "Smokin' In The Orchard At Hirsch Farms"

What do you think Jim, will people around here be able to figure out that "Smokin' in the Orchard" means BBQ? I mean, in MO, yeah, they would get it, but in Ohio, I'm not so sure.

or

"Smokin' BBQ In The Orchard At Hirsch Fruit Farms"

or

"BBQ In The Orchard at Hirsch Fruit Farms"

I am in Missouri but I believe the the general language in the cover letter for Governors Proclamation would be the same. I would be happy to give you a copy of the request I sent to get our competition qualified. By the way just to let you know...only because I just found this out, but the proclamation will follow you, so even if you change venue your proclamation is still good for your competition as long as it is the same competition.

I am in Missouri but I believe the the general language in the cover letter for Governors Proclamation would be the same. I would be happy to give you a copy of the request I sent to get our competition qualified. By the way just to let you know...only because I just found this out, but the proclamation will follow you, so even if you change venue your proclamation is still good for your competition as long as it is the same competition.

That would be WONDERFUL Aimee!

You can send it to:

zbq3774@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

What do you think Jim, will people around here be able to figure out that "Smokin' in the Orchard" means BBQ? I mean, in MO, yeah, they would get it, but in Ohio, I'm not so sure.

or

"Smokin' BBQ In The Orchard At Hirsch Fruit Farms"

or

"BBQ In The Orchard at Hirsch Fruit Farms"

If it's teams you are trying to attract with the name, that's one thing but if it's the general public then that's another consideration to be made in choosing the right name. I think the name can be as simple as you want it to be. Sometimes a simple name will create a sense of intrigue which leave people wanting to know more. Call it whatever you want then use your media resources to give further explanation.

Hate to run but gotta pack for the Jack.

Back