Ordered the new comp trailer today

rolfejr

Full Fledged Farker
We placed the order for our new comp trailer today.

It's a custom built 8.5 x 20 v-nose cargo trailer with a 7 foot ceiling that we will furnish and trick out ourselves for the 2014 season.

There was a thread debating trailer vs toy hauler going on so we'll keep you posted as the build and it's expenses proceed.

Now if the thing can only cook a 175.0000 brisket!

Cool! Was the customization of a blank slate what made you go this route vs toy hauler?

We looked at a LOT of toy haulers and could not justify the money for the limited, and very specific, uses at a BBQ contest. We can make the cargo trailer fit our needs very nicely. For example, we do not need showers and bathrooms in the trailer. Most comps are set up fairly nicely.
We do need large counter tops, lots of lights, and easily accessed storage. So when we rig up the trailer we will address those needs.

We bought the cargo trailer from WOW trailers in Georgia and had them build it with 7' of interior height since I'm 6'4". ~ 4 grand.

Another reason for going with the trailer was the high re-sale value of these types of trailers. When we're done with it, or move up, we can gut it out and get close to what we paid for it. It's not so easy with purpose built units.

As we move along with the re-fit we'll post photos and maybe we'll get some good ideas from the Brethren!

Did you get any extras added in, like a/c, insulation, etc?
We will add those options ourselves.

Typically dealer installed options are +/- 20% higher than street prices.

We're lucky, we have the skills to make the upgrades ourselves and save some money.

We're lucky, we have the skills to make the upgrades ourselves and save some money.

Good to know, I've actually only priced out those items (FRP, thin sheet insulation, etc) on a trailer website, never at Home depot.

I just bought a trailer, too. I looked at the WOW Cargo website but got turned off due to no address listed and no one answering the phone when I called. But I think your trailer and mine are built at the same place. I also got a 8.5x20' trailer, only mine will be turn-key when it arrives. They're telling me October delivery.

Maybe I should've subbed out the finish of the Yellow Submarine to you guys!

Back